Bsa Bantam

eiger

Good evening folks. Just acquired a BSA Bantam for a bit of a project, I am told its 175cc and wondered if anyone had any information as I've no experience of these machines. The frame is a D7 and engine is a D143. The bike is complete although rusted and I am hoping to get new rims (originals beyond repair) and sort out the forks which are rusted solid. Any information on the bike and where to get spares such as rims, spokes, forks and any other information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Eiger. :angry:

Try an Internet search on www.oldbikemart.co.uk and search out a chap in the trade classifieds............called Bantam John

He's a trader who has any amount of bits for Bantams........new and used.

He'll be at Stafford Classic show on 16/17th October @ Stafford Show Ground.

I'm ashamed to say I used to have one - 3 speed gearbox D14/3 was 175cc - BSAs answer to the japanese was to add another gear in about 1970 - D14/4 - and we wonder why the british bike industry went bust!

I used to be able to rewire a bantam in the dark, usually raining, at the side of the road - the electrics were (i was going to say 'shocking' but that was the point - there wasnt even a spark!).

Good luck :angry:

SOUNDS LIKE ITS GOING TO SUCK SOME CASH AND TIME UP. :angry:

Now then Endo Kid you sound like my Missus, its exactly what she says every time I buy a bike! I know its going to cost a few quid but the idea is to take it steady and hopefully she'll lose track of what I'm spending on it!

Thanks for that info Johnnyboxer I'll look into it.

And as for you Overthehill, the wiring is totally shot, so with your previous experience you may be just the man I need!

Cheers folks.

Eiger.