Mont 4rt For Newcomer

paul13

Hi I have just bought myself a 4rt which I am real happy with but i have a few niggling things.1st the clutch bit grabby on and off action I think first I will just change oil so whats best.Also my boss who knows his stuff reckons the bike is too quick for me and I should tame it down with gearing what do the majority of you lesser riders use ? As far as i can tell the bike is 100% stock I just need to give it a good service oil and filter and new airfilter etc what do you use for air filter oil ? I use twin air for my nephews mx bikes and have been told this is a no no in trials. Thanks in advance for any help or advice you give sorry if i have repeated boring questions TA Paul

Hi I have just bought myself a 4rt which I am real happy with but i have a few niggling things.1st the clutch bit grabby on and off action I think first I will just change oil so whats best.Also my boss who knows his stuff reckons the bike is too quick for me and I should tame it down with gearing what do the majority of you lesser riders use ? As far as i can tell the bike is 100% stock I just need to give it a good service oil and filter and new airfilter etc what do you use for air filter oil ? I use twin air for my nephews mx bikes and have been told this is a no no in trials. Thanks in advance for any help or advice you give sorry if i have repeated boring questions TA Paul

Speak to a guy called 'Munch' on here, he will keep you right. A lot of the 4RT's have had a larger clutch master cylinder fitted for increased fluid volume. Don't over oil the air filter, in fact if it's not being ridden in a lot of dust, a light spray of air filter fluid will suffice. If too much oil on the filter it will run too rich and eat plugs!

Leave the gearing, remember the throttle operates both ways...gently does it!

Best wishes and enjoy your 'Four Stroke Racing Trial' (4RT)

Big John

Edited by Big John

Hi paul

I got mine 3 months ago and like you found the clutch a bit on off at first,i changed the oil to the recomended elf htx 740 , you get at bvm,after a few rides i must have got used to it as it does not bother me now

Im using 43 rear sprocket as aposed to 41 stock,slows it down a bit in 1st

I changed the stock air filter to the jitsie one,you can do away with fire screen and it seems to breath better

Enjoy your new bike i think they are great,cheers

All of the bike here in W.A run a 43t rear sprocket, our sections tend to be tight and all rocks and it definitely helps particularly when new on the bike. Only problem is that you need to fit a half link in the chain with the 43t. I had an 05 and then 06 Repsol, yes the clutch initially felt a bit on and off but soon adapted to it. I always ran the Elf oil and when I got used to the clutch I found it was not all that grabby, just very sensitive to lever movement and I now actually prefer the fast reaction of the standard unit.

Air filter, have just used engine oil as per the manual with a bit of sticky air filter oil around the top sealing foam.

The Ptb is great if you have it, however I reckon the main thing is to just ride it and get used to the different characteristics of the 4RT it doesn't take long to get used to it. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have!!