Year End Meeting Thoughts

alan bechard

Hello folks, it is time for many of us to start thinking about what will come up at the year end meetings, and laying the groundwork for what will come in the 05 season.

While many of us have different views, most of us have a common bond in trials that is seldom seen in other sports or activities. And while we recognize that part of that bond comes from the exclusivity of trials, most of us wish that our sport would grow and prosper a bit, probably not to the point of the x-games and MX, but at least to the point where folks recognized the bikes and the name of the sport associated with them.

Here are a couple of thoughts, that I feel should be presented to folks for consideration to help trials expand.

We should call classes the same thing across the US. It really does not matter what we call them, heck, lets quit calling them names, we might hurt their feelings, lets call them class 1,2,3,4,and 5 or maybe 6. But lets try and adopt some form of standard across the country. Now I think we should go ahead and continue to call them names, but lets pick the same name and associate it with the same class. Ie, line 1 is novice, line 2 is intermediate, line 3 is advanced, line 4 is Expert and line 5 is Pro.

Let's fall in line with the NATC as to what we call our top competitive class, let's call it Pro, and work to develop riders who would be competitive at the National level competing in that class.

What if all the clubs across the US, fell in step with the NATC on the scoring rules, after all, it is us clubs that are the NATC, lets stand behind them and support them, while at the same time sending a clear message forward with the reps to quit jacking around with the scoring rules, they seem to be working pretty well right now, everyone is learning them, lets lock them in.

Lets try and develop another level of series, for the serious club rider to contend. While true that Spain has a national series and so does Germany, England etc. Woop out that globe and look at the size of them and the drive times and logistics involved. It is a tremendous jump for US riders to go from riding "local" events, to riding National events which can very likely be three days drive away. Lets work together to develop an in between series of events utilizing well established and succsessful local level events to have further series.

I will post in a seperate topic, but as Barry Florin suggested last year, lets push forward to make an Eastern US series.

Also, as a final aside, to the folks that contact me and say, "well, we would love to ride, but nobody else here does, or there are no events in my area" That should be the drive for you to get something started and going. And if you are not the person that can make that happen, maybe you can assist someone else and your combined efforts can make it a reality.

I agree that we should have some continuity throught the country on what classes are called and some standards as to the difficulties levels associated with said class. With some of the sports channels showing some observed trials stories (a couple times a year) I have started running into people that actually understand what I mean when I say observed trials. Media coverage is where it is at if you want to get recognized, but I don't think we want to get too big. That seems to bring about a whole new set of problems.

I would like to have a mid-level series that involved, as a suggestion, four or five states that are next door to each other. I have never been to a national but from what I understand they are very difficult. I love to ride but don't like getting hurt.

I think there are 2 reasons trials has not "taken off" in North America:

1. It is slow speed and very technical. (no backflips)

2. no prize money (at least where I am)

But I think that these are the reasons that trials is so wonderful.

Well, I guess that is one of my Points,

I am guessing that Pro is on par with National level Pro sections,,,,

So, what is a "Master"?

We used to have Master class in FTA, and I believe STRA, but they are now called Champ......

Either way, whatever the class, it is probably over my head if they are paying money to the winners :angry:

Alan,

I have had many of the same thoughts that you express. I returned to trials after a 25+ year absence. Back in the 70's we all rode the same line so it was a big change for me.

I spent several years racing and promoting bicycle racing and see some parallels in the sport although nearly everyone rides a bicylce.

The big thing that I see different is that in bicycle racing there is a STRONG NATIONAL governing body. All of the races that I participated in were under the direction of the "USCF". (www.usacycling.org) You can find the USCF rules at (http://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=369).

I think that for trials to grow we need something similar. The AMA is not going to do it so maybe it is up to the NATC group. They may have to expand and be the governing body for all trials in the US not just the national series.

In order to race a USCF race you have to have a license that is issued by the USCF, this is one way they control the classes and receive revenue.

Even at the local level there is a "purse" for all of the classes, it is amazing how simple it is to get the local businesses to contribute to a purse that will bring people into the local community.

Wayne

As a rider who has ridden in several types of events I can see this as an issue. I started out in district 4 (western ny) where at an early age I was exposed to national and international events. By setting up these type of events the clubs technical abilities grew. The sections got harder but i was not moving up classes. From this grew a club called 3d (district 3 eastern ny trials) where the events were technical but not death chilling cliffs. I was having fun but not challenging myself. I was looking for a happy medium between the two clubs. Well time passed and school took priority but after school I bought myself a gasgas (some grad present huh) and I now ride in mota michigan ontario trials association. I have found a good mix here and i am having fun and not breaking myself.

My point here is that a club event can be a preperation to move into Nationals but also has to keep its core group "having fun". I believe that 100% of that is determined by the judgement of the people who are laying out the sections. Too easy and too hard are some words that are commonly used.

How could we make that a national standard? I have not gone back to ride in ny since i have been in michigan and i am an advanced rider here. I dont know if i could ride advanced there. I am going to give her heck when i do though.

Zippy you would do fine in nationals. Sportsman is about the same as the starter national class. (Kicking myself for going to Ohio 2 day without a bike :) )

Thanks -biff!

I think the only way to gauge riders ability across the US would be the national classes.

Although you have 15 classes, in truth you only have four ability lines Pro, expert, expert support, and support.

I would class the support class as Advanced and the lower 30% of the support class would be good intermediates but in reality riding over their heads, intermediate sections should be easier than the national support line.

If you look at the NATC results you can get a combined support readout

http://www.natctrials.org/results/04Rnd1S.pdf

looking at how riders from your area compare against others from other areas, should give you some idea of how you would fare in a national event.

Novice, intermediate classes I know in this area, but no nationwide

information to go on.

Edited by ishy