Correct Needle Height For An '05 125

gwrev3

Hi, recently bought my lad an '05 125. After messing around with it last weekend, I found it was spitting a bit of oil out of the exhaust and smoking when reved. Since then, I've drained the fuel that was in the bike and replaced it with my own super unleaded with 75:1 Castrol TTS mix, cleaned air filter, set needle third from bottom and set mixture screw to 3 turns out. Took my lad out today and once he'd got it warmed up, I gave it a fistful up a 3rd/4th gear climb, before giving it 4 or 5 five second blips with the throttle about 3/4 open. I then set mixture screw to 2 and 3/4 turns out and watched the exhaust while he rode about. The bike no longer looks like a traction engine, but I'm now paranoid that the bike may be running too lean. So can anyone tell me the correct needle height/mixture screw settings for this bike?

Hi, recently bought my lad an '05 125. After messing around with it last weekend, I found it was spitting a bit of oil out of the exhaust and smoking when reved. Since then, I've drained the fuel that was in the bike and replaced it with my own super unleaded with 75:1 Castrol TTS mix, cleaned air filter, set needle third from bottom and set mixture screw to 3 turns out. Took my lad out today and once he'd got it warmed up, I gave it a fistful up a 3rd/4th gear climb, before giving it 4 or 5 five second blips with the throttle about 3/4 open. I then set mixture screw to 2 and 3/4 turns out and watched the exhaust while he rode about. The bike no longer looks like a traction engine, but I'm now paranoid that the bike may be running too lean. So can anyone tell me the correct needle height/mixture screw settings for this bike?

Sounds as though you are to normal range. The Pilot jet should be 33-36 and about 118-122 on the main I would think.

The Pilot jet should be 33-36 and about 118-122 on the main I would think.

Copemech, I never thought to check the jet sizes while I had the carb off and split to clean it ! :thumbup:

May lift the needle a notch before the bike goes out again (and check the jet sizes at the same time) just to be on the safe side.