Ty 80 Whitehawk

scrumpyjack

Hi has anyone noticed a very nice ty80 whitehawk on evil bay.... seems too cheap,

I remember when they used to sell a whitehawk kit that you added to your existing

ty80 ,, they were very expensive as i seem to remember,,! i think it took the wheel

size to 17" rear and 20" front,, correct me if i am wrong.

Scrumpy

Hi Scrump ;

In my research on Whitehawk Ty80 's (I'm 75% done doing a big wheel conversion on my boys Ty80) , From what I've found out , I don't know if they ever sold a kit for the conversion , But the one on EB is not a true Whitehawk I think , All the info I've gathered on them shows a completely different frame , using swingarm and fork extensions , The whitehawk swingarm pivot is in a different position along with the footpegs. As to tire sizes I know they used a 17' rear , but I've never found out what size front they used . I'm using the wheels , forks and steeringhead off a 89 honda xr100 , so ours will be 17 and 19 . I laced a rear rim from a old honda sl125 on to the xr hub to go from 16 to 17 . In hindsight now I shoulda left the 16 inch rim , it would've made setting up the rear suspension travel quite abit easier ... But it's gonna work great and allow my boys to compete in real novice sections that would just be about imposable on a stock wheeled ty80 , so they don't have to ride in kiddie sections , they can ride the loop with me ... And not put any extra demands on promoters to make extra little sections .

Glenn :thumbup:

I have a Whitehawk ty80 for my boy.

The frame is a lot larger than the standard bike,wheel sizes are 20'' front ,17'' rear.

Forks are standard ty80 but with special parts added at the bottom of the fork legs that place the wheel spindle lower and forward.Quite neat.

Mine has a red one piece tank and seat unit made from fibreglass.

The bike is too big for my boy at the moment (he is 8 and average height but can only just touch the ground with his toes whilst seated.)

He has ridden it once,first time with gears so I have no idea how it handles etc.

Gearing seems good and low,it has a very large rear sprocket.

The frame is Chrome plated,it reminds me of a smaller version of a Miller Highboy Bultaco frame.(I used to own one)

The one on E-bay looks like a Whitehawk frame minus the fork extensions with a different tank and seat used.

His 8 year old boy must be a lot taller than mine!

• 3 weeks later...

I was lucky enough to catch an early Whitehawk TY80 just as it was listed on ebay a couple of weeks ago with a buy it now price. It is such a pretty and well engineered thing. It had a top end rattle which I thought was the little end, but it is currently having a new big end fitted (see my posts in the Yamaha section). It is in extremely good condition, but I am Getting a hankering to fully restore it. I will try to resist this as I bought it for my lad to actually use.