Axle Diameter

b40rt

Hi all

I'm in the process of building new wheels and my dilema is axle diameter. The hubs dictate that I can use either a 20mm dia axle or 15mm dia axle, (bearing size 6004 2rs or 6302 2rs). I'm quite happy to run with a 15 mm axle in the front, but not so sure about the back. When the axle is turned up for the rear I won't have a spacer, just increase the dia to approx 23mm x 100mm between the bearings (ie a stepped axle) I would rather go for a 15mm axle, and am looking for re-assurance that it would be strong enough.

Its for a B40 and I am approx 13 stone in weight. (I will have conventional spacer between the bearing in the front.)

Ross

hi b40 had no problems using a 15mm axle in the rear wheel

of my h/weight ajs as the swinging arm on my ajs uses the one

out of smaller and lighter 250 amc bikes sorry don't know the

b40 set up but can't see any problem as long as you are using

a steel axle

colin

hi b40 had no problems using a 15mm axle in the rear wheel

of my h/weight ajs as the swinging arm on my ajs uses the one

out of smaller and lighter 250 amc bikes sorry don't know the

b40 set up but can't see any problem as long as you are using

a steel axle

colin

Thanks for that, anybody else got any thoughts ?

I think the 6004 bearing is common in the modern bikes and can take a pounding. Hopefully you can find an off the shelf axle long enough to work as I do believe these are hardened alloys. The Sherco uses a straight shaft for example. The assembly is fairly wide to accomodate the disk and such. One could cut one down if needed and rethread! At a quick measure, the shaft seems just over 9 inches including the threads. :D

I think the 6004 bearing is common in the modern bikes and can take a pounding. Hopefully you can find an off the shelf axle long enough to work as I do believe these are hardened alloys. The Sherco uses a straight shaft for example. The assembly is fairly wide to accomodate the disk and such. One could cut one down if needed and rethread! At a quick measure, the shaft seems just over 9 inches including the threads. :D

Thanks Copemech, I'm not concerned about the bearings so much as the axle, I have since spoken to a machine shop who also think a 15mm axle would be strong enough, as long as it was quality steel. The 20mm option is more for using an alloy axle, but would require widening the slot on the swinging arm, which may be just moving the problem somewhere else.

Ross