Kick Start

postmanpat

My engagement gear broke last year. It was in perfect condition and it broke between the teeth and the hole where it goes on the shaft. Bit of a pain in the ass but lucky it didn't break all the teeth off and mess up the gear box.

The spring tension was still there and it was spinning the shaft.

Aye up lads,whipped the casing off this afternoon,the gear has sheared at the base,lucky me.....no other debris,just ordered the new bits plus a gasket,what coolant should i put back in? :D

A 50/50 mix of automotive anti-freeze and distilled water seems to work well in most cases.

Jon

I'm sure when you say coolant, you mean for the radiator? only asking as you have been working on the gear box, unless you emptied the radiator too!?

What Jon says for the coolant mix.

I thought the same thing too, but I checked just to make sure he mentioned "coolant". I think new owners may often not know that the water pump can just be pulled out and ziptyed to the exhaust pipe to keep it out of the way. Just be careful to "index" the pins on the W/P shaft to the slots on the crank primary gear when installing.

There is a very thin o-ring that seals the W/P housing to the bore in the sidecover, so be sure to add a little grease to it and try to slide the pump housing in straight or the edge of the sidecase bore will catch the thin o-ring and damage it (the hoses exert a slight pull to the right, which will tend to cock it to the side if not forced in straight). Not a big thing, but you'll see trans fluid weeping around the W/P if the o-ring gets sliced.

If it's trans fluid the question involved, Dexron ATF seems to work well in the 04's as it's a light viscosity and has good shear strength and anti-foaming properties (it's designed for a "wet clutch"/gear-tooth environment). It's inexpensive, so change it often as the Pro gearbox has a lot of extra things that the trans fluid lubes, like the crank main bearings and the internal roller in the main transmission shaft. There are several other trans fluids, like 5W/10W-30 auto oil and motorcycle trans fluids (I've tried Maxima "clutch saver" 75W with good results) that also work well and try to use a fairly light oil. I use GM AutoTrak transfer case fluid in my 02' Pro and really like it but I'm not sure how available it is to a lot of riders (o.k., I also like the pretty blue color too.....).

Jon

Cheers lads,i did mean water/antifreeze,i'm a bit fried at the mo,being a postie at xmas is fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,then my bike breaks.....just made my brain give up.I didn't know about the pump trick,so i dropped the antifreeze.....ah well.Bits coming thursday,i'll let you know how it goes. :D

I know what you mean by that! I had similar trouble. You have to get the right tension on the spring by turning it. It was very difficult from what i remember and very annoying! I can't remember exactly how many turns etc but i'm sure someone will be able to help on that front.

I had the gearbox back together about 5 times, each time realising that there wasn't any "spring" on the spring so had to dismantle and have another go! Took me a good few hours but got there.

Good Luck!!