Best Bike For Time Trials?

tjp

Hi Guys, wasn't entirely sure where to put this so sorry if this isn't the best place.

Anyway I started trials this year and love it but next year I quite fancy a go at some time trials.

I'm currently riding a gasgas 250 pro which has been a nice bike but I would now like something newer and was hoping you knowledgable people could advise me on the bike that will be the most reliable/suitable for the slightly more abusive time trials? (I will still be riding traditional trials too).

thanks in advance

Hey

There is no "Best" bike for time trials. All I ride currently is time trials in the Wessex centre and from personal experience that the bike does not really matter. I have seen air cooled TY250 win to Montesa 4rts.

By far the most popular bike is a sherco 290 but every make and size bike is represented and goes very well. The bikes with bigger engines generally find it easier because they can quickly gain speed and let the bike lug in certain areas. But the GasGas 250 you have should be fine for now but you may need to change the gearing a bit.

The thing you need to remember is that time trails is less about the bike more about technique. You need to be fast and smooth but at the same time adapting to the track. Motocross and Enduro bike easily change a section within a lap. Sections still are very important but are easier and shorter compared to normal observed trials. Just remember a time trial is harder on the bike so it needs to be looked after more but apart from that any bike will do.

Your best option is just to ride the gas gas for now and then make your mind up on what bike suits you best.

Please don't hesitate to PM me. I will be riding on January the 11th at North Somerset MCC Time Trial if you fancy a ride.

Have fun.