2001 Txt 250 Clutch Grab?

soloman

Hi All,

I have a problem with my clutch which i hope someone can help me out with as its becoming a pain in the a*** now.

When starting from cold each time the bike is used i start the bike as per normal and warm it up.

On knocking it into gear (whether that be 1,2,3 etc) the clutch grabs and the bike just drives forward, even when the clutch is pulled in??

What i have to do to stop this is lean the bike over onto its side stand, knock it into gear and let it spin with the clutch pulled in, pick up the revs and stop the rear spinning with the rear brake.

I then have to rev the engine quite hard with the rear brake applied and after doing this it then drops to a slight drag on the clutch, but doesn't want to drive forward as before.

After riding for around 2-3 minutes the problem disappears completely and doesn't rear its head again until the next time out from cold??

I am running 550ml of oil in the crankcase, as listed in the manual, and using Dexron III AFF as suggested by many.

Any help is much appreciated.

Steve

Steve, the 01' usually takes 650-700cc's (it's also known as the "Edition" engine, after the last models produced). Make sure the master cylinder plunger is correctly adjusted (some slack where the lever screw meets the M/C plunger that goes through the boot) and the lever is adjusted far enough out to get some distance in the M/C piston travel.

I'd first take the clutch apart (fairly easy from the outside) to check the plate condition. If the clutch is good, I'd look at a problem with the master cylinder not giving enough volume to the servo cylinder to fully release the pressure plate. If the rubber boot on the M/C is messed up at all, I'd suspect grit getting into the M/C bore and the piston seal not working till it's traveled a little down the bore. Check the lever screw adjustment first as that's the most common problem with hydraulic clutches.

Jon

+1 on Jon's suggestion. I ran 650cc of GM autotrak - transfer case fluid (blue stuff) in my edition. It seemed to shift better than when usung ATF. Also, if you pull the plates and check them for condition/flatness - give the steel plates a quick sanding to roughen the plate surface. Clean up the edges of the plates (where the fingers hit the basket) while your at it . This helps prevent the plates from sticking. When your clutch is working well again, you might want to try taking 2 opposing clutch springs out. Gives it a nice light/progressive pull. Just make sure you check that its not slipping under load. Mine didnt slip that I could tell - but I dont do 3rd gear splatters either. :rolleyes: