4rt Stalling -trying To Find The Fuel Filter

scraggydog64

I have recently aquired an 05 4RT. It does not seem to have done loads of work. The first couple of trials went OK and I love the way the bike rides. Third trial, in a section the engine hestitated, gave it some throttle and it picked up again then hesitated and stalled. I had the clutch in so it was under no load. It restarted no problem. Went back to the car changed the plug and business as usual, no problems.

Next trial, same problem. I asked a knowledgeable bloke who has had a 4RT for years. All he could suggest was checking the fuel filter.

Came home and consulted the (Excelent) manual. It makes reference to the fuel filter but does not seem to tell you where it is unless I have missed it. The fuel filter is not mentioned on the service list.

I have removed the pump assembley from the tank and there is no obvious filter. Does anyone know where it is?

When I removed the pump assembley there did appear to be about half a teaspoon of water in the last dregs of petrol, could this be the problem.

If it's not the filter does anyone out there in 4RT land have any suggestions??

Thanks Scraggydog

Don't want to frighten you; but if this is happening when the engine gets really warm then it could be a faulty fuel pump.

It happened to mine after about the second lap of a trial very intermitant, let it cool down no problem would run till it got hot and the same would happen.

It is a sealed unit so your only option is a new pump and they arn't cheap.

Hope this helps and hopefully for you it may be something else?

Thanks for the advice Gizza5 though you have frightened me. It is generally well in to the trial when the problem happens. The Yorkshire War Cry of "How much" seems quite relevant in this case.

I think I'll have about 10 cans of bitter and sit down before I ring Sandiford's for a price to ease the pain.

Anyone out there with any cheaper solutions.

Thanks again, Scragg

Heard of a similar problem and the cause was water in the fuel tank. I would clean out the tank and try it before fitting a new pump. Also make sure the air filter is not heavily oiled as they pull the oil through and this causes poor running.

take off the rear mudguard and pull the tank up you will see an 8mm allen head on the fuel injection blow it out carefully with an air line ,these sometimes get water in them,swap t5he plug and check the tickover on the side of the fuel injector ,this normally cures mine if it's running a little rough.hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Also make sure the fan is working. If the motor gets too hot, it goes into some kind of limp mode where it will idle fine but not allow much load. Mine acted like a fouled plug and/or running out of gas when this happened, apply power and it would miss/cough/sputter. It would run fine when first started and right up to when it got too hot. New fan and all was fixed.