Some Interesting Observations?

steve fracy

I was rummagin around the other day looking for some old Fantic memorabilia to go with my 240 twinshock that I'm working on, and I found a ton of old Trials Competition papers with write-ups on Nationals from the late 80's, and results sheets. I was still riding Champ class back then and, I was quite interested to see the not only the number of riders entered, but the actual points spread between 1st and 10th.

First off, every event I looked at there were at least 20 rider's in the champ class. Other than the top 2 ( Scott Head and Ryan Young) the rest of the guys in the top 10 could almost be interchanged from event to event! These were all impressive rider's too! Mcneal, Webb, Commo, Stites,Pyle, Manniko, just to name a few! In the results I looked at, rarely was there ever more than a 15-20 point difference between 1st and 10th!

When I look at the results from this past years Nationals in the Champ class, I see a dramatic difference! Rarely is there ever more than 10 riders. The difference between 1st and 10th is almost always about 70-100 pts depending on how tough the event is! In my estimation, the bottom couple of guys riding champ would be doing a lot better off riding the Expert class, but then there are even less guys riding champ.

My question is, ( a good one for you Ishy) how have we come to this?? I mean, I know why, but, what are all the factor's contributing to this?? Was it not better back then when so many more rider's were capable of winning? What can we do to get things back that way?? To me it all stems from the World Rounds and the FIM. This made me think of Ishy's theory of how perhaps all the World Rounds should go back to complete no stop! I know I have always hated that idea, but it seems the World guys are unfortanately putting themselves too far away from the general trials public and club riders. In the eyes of the factories, surely that can't be all good! Pretty soon, who will be able to ride anything other than elite 20 or 30??

Just some thoughts. I thought it might provoke some good ideas and maybe some solutions!!

Cheers, Steve

What can we do to get things back that way??

Just some thoughts. I thought it might provoke some good ideas and maybe some solutions!!

Cheers, Steve

Nowt!! if there are less and less riders in championships eventually it find it's own level, events that 99% of riders enjoy doing don't seem to be suffering the same fate, not until the powers that be prove to themselves they can't make mega bucks from the sport will it be allowed to stand on it's own for what it is.

Nothing stopping anyone putting on classic trials if they prefer riding that style, as for the modern events I think this past year has had the least amount of complaints about rules in a long time.

At my age it doesn't matter what the young guns are doing, I enjoy seeing worldrounds or the nationals, a good ride is still a good ride.

Now get back to fettling that 240, I have just put wider pegs and taller bars on the 200, all I need now is the alloy sump guard, anyone know who I contact in the UK to get one?

Ishy:

When it comes right down to it, I'm in the same boat as you. I just love to ride my bike, looking forward to riding the 240 too. It just struck me as odd when I looked at those old results, that's all.

Not trying to stir any **** up at all, but curious to see if anyone has given any thought as to where things are heading?? Bikes used to be half the price they are now, and that surely has to have some bearing.

What will happen if we all just take the attitude of just worrying about what happens in our local area and regions?? I don't know. I think the specialty events will always have lots of riders because they are fun and cater to a larger amount of people!

Getting 240 fettled for Easter Weekend Extravaganza! Your have to make it Ish!

Cheers, Steve :santa1:

Bikes used to be half the price they are now, and that surely has to have some bearing.

I think this is one of the single biggest reasons effecting attracting new riders. As a relative newbie myself, and dealing with new riders regularly...and trying to sway "to-be" new riders :D , I can tell you that it is the single biggest obstacle.

I understand that new riders are not entirely the problem but, newbies could care less about the rules, in fact, most find "stop and hop" much easier to understand and follow.

What will happen if we all just take the attitude of just worrying about what happens in our local area and regions?? I don't know

That's pretty much sums it up. Most of the clubs ARE "just doing their own thing" in their local areas.

Edited by Ridgrunr