Tiger Cub Clutch Adjustment?

honda pants

Hi, can anyone advise me on how to make adjustments to my Clutch, at present if i select 1st and depress kickstart she moves forward,but if the motor's running nothing happens when gear is selected.

Also the chain came off a couple of times yesterday even though it appeared to be aligned ok, any suggestions please.

As you can guess i'm new to all this british stuff after 7 years on a TLR!!!!Didn't even have an imperial allen key!

First point, you can't intentionally start the Cub in gear! You must be in neutral. It is quite normal to ease in the clutch with the engine in neutral to seperate the clutch plates by depressing the kickstart GENTLY. You don't say how the chain kept coming off, is your cub modified with a tensioner or does it have a chain guide? Both mechanisms can easily get bent in a trial and will run the chain off with ease. Secondly look at the tension in the chain and check that it is consistent all the way round it's loop, use the connecting link at a datum. Might be time for a new chain.

Tony

Tony, thanks for your reply. Firstly the cub has a spring loaded chain tensioner and the chain is relitvley new so i will check the tensioner isn't bent because the chain appeared to be aligned and tensioned ok.

Regarding the clutch i will try out your suggestion this evening and let you know what happens.

regards Steve

Update..... Couldn't start the engine as the kickstart just depressed similar to holding clutch lever in, I have removed the clutch cover and removed clutch plates these were quite dry actually as there wasn't much if any oil in the casing.What can i do next please?

regards Steve

while you have the clutch cover try the kick start

again and watch the clutch unit to see if it is slipping

plates make sure you have some cable free play at

at handle bar lever if nesesary slacken the clutch centre

push rod ajuster after that its down to the clutch plates

and the clutch spring tension ajustment as i have already

said you should be able to see what 's going on while you

have the primarycover off, also while your at it check the gearbox

sprocket hasn.t come loose and also check the end float

on the clutch unit

hope this helps colini

is it me ???, am i missing some thing here?

you can't kick start a cub in gear.

The kick start engages on the main shaft and turns the engine over via the clutch. if the bike is in gear the gearbox sproket will rotate and the bike will move forward.

Even If you pull the clutch the sprocket will still rotate, the gears are meshed in the box taking the drive from the kick start via the main shaft to the final drive sleeve gear and sproket.

Pulling the clutch just seperates the gearbox from the engine.

in short... if you stall in a section, you have to find neutral before you re-start.

As for the clutch.. they are notoriously fragile especially if handling increased power and low gears. It is common to run with only 100ml of oil (ATF) in the primary chain case to aviod over wetting the plates.

Alan, thanks for your comments, Whilst i have been working on my new aquasition i have now come across something else......The crankcase has two holes drilled in it about 6mm in from where the primary case bolts on, the best way i can descibe is say 6 o'clock and 8 o'clock these two holes are tapped but no bolt or plug fitted so in fact i could see the sump gaurd through them! Hence no oil in the primary case. What would these be for any idea's.

Regards to all.