Newbie Sorry

orange250

Hi

I want to get into trials and have a couple of questions, I posted here as its mainly that I am considering a '98 Beta Techno 250. It seems very up together, new clutch plates, recent brake pads good chain and sprockets/tyres etc. Would this be a good first bike? I have been riding enduro for a couple of years. Also what do you think the bike would be worth? Its a reasonable travel, but there is a few bikes closer than are newer and 280cc and more money, but I just want to see how much I would use a bike before I spend too much.

Final question - I am trying to get my wife involved to and looking at joining a club (prob Waltham Chase), but if we both enter would we be able to share the bike?

Thanks for your time.

Welcome to TC.

The '98 Techno was a well refined macnine. The model had been out since 1993, each year there were subtle improvements, so a '98 should be a good bet.

Every 10 year old trials bike could have issues with wear and tear, so it really does depend on the condidtion of the one you are looking at. If it is in immaculate order, I would guess that

It's impossible to say which bike is better as a 8 or 10 year old buy without seeing them and even trying them both.

If both bikes were still new I would definately say keep well clear of the 280, it's a bike that suits more experienced riders, you would probably find the Techno was easier to ride in easy sections and far less tiring, so you'd enjoy riding the Beta more.

Waltham Chase run a series of beginners trials and practice days and are always keen to encourage newbies, check out there web site for dates and contacts. I'm sure they would be ok about bike sharing. You wife might not be the only female either, there are a couple of girls who ride in the centre.