Fork Sanctions

blocky

Painting not recommended as it won't stick - the stantions are the chrome tubes....

Assuming you mean twinshock TY (as from new the mono TY had painted fork bottoms/legs/sliders - take your pick as they have various names) the legs are polished and lacquered from the factory so whatever you do, the lacquer, or what's left of it, will have to come off first. Then you can either polish them or get them painted/powdercoated or whatever. Just personal choice.

In our climate though, polished alloy, Japanese in particular, doesn't always survive too well and it can (not necessarily will) fur up or corrode unless it's protected. Not sure how you get lacquer to stick to highly polished alloy though as it would have nothing to key into. They weren't mirror polished from the factory. For what it's worth, I have some highly polished TY fork legs and they've lasted ok so far, although the bike's had little use yet and hasn't been submerged in mud regularly but it has sat in a damp garage and so far they're ok.

Edited by Woody

Most people use solvol to polish ally, but there is another product called Belgom Alu which is a white liquid in a blue plastic bottle. The difference is the Belgom has some kind of clear wax in it which helps to keep the aluminium bright for longer.

Aluminium produces its own protective coating by oxidisation, however this oxidised coating gives the dull grey colour which doesn't look pretty which is why we are polishing regularly!. Magnesium however is a different kettle of fish. It can look like aluminium when polished but if left open to the elements it will corrode rapidly, especially if it is left wet or dirty. This is why some ty250 side casings look like they have been eaten away. Magnesium should really be painted or laquered. (your fork bottoms are aluminium). Hope this helps.

Mine were painted black when I got the bike. I used paint remover to take it off. I kind of like the weathered look, but then mine is a rider not a show bike. (that sort of came off wrong - I'm just not into the looks of a bike.)

Alan

Edited by Alan_nc

You wouldn't want to paint your stanchions! Unfortunately the only option is rechroming (or try superglue and very fine/soft grit sandpaper if you just have some fine holes that are hurting your fork seals).

The fork bottoms are just normal metal and can be sand blasted, primed and painted however you like.