Any Ideas About This Honda?

honda_trials

A guy has written in to me via the honda-trials.com website asking if anyone knows anything about this bike, I think this is a much bigger forum for such a question - so, does anyone know any more info about it? It has a Montesa tank/seat unit, XL250 motor and Aprilia front end. He was told the frame was a 'Mill's' it is nickel plated and nicely welded/brazed - anyone shed any other light?

pp1.jpg

pp2.jpg

pp3.jpg

pp4.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help!

I think Pitley had a Mills frame lurking in his garage a while ago, moved it on now though. It did look similar to that. Was it Mick Mills ?? I think another user on here may have bought it ?? That engine doesn't look right in that one. The one he had was for 125/ 185 motor. If I am talking out of my a rse someone please tell me as my memory is awful. :D

PS if you google mick mills trials Honda you will pick up a previous thread on the subject from last year.

Edited by bo drinker

A guy has written in to me via the honda-trials.com website asking if anyone knows anything about this bike, I think this is a much bigger forum for such a question - so, does anyone know any more info about it? It has a Montesa tank/seat unit, XL250 motor and Aprilia front end. He was told the frame was a 'Mill's' it is nickel plated and nicely welded/brazed - anyone shed any other light?

pp1.jpg

pp2.jpg

pp3.jpg

pp4.jpg

Jim

Looks very much like a Pete Jerred frame,that was made for the 150cc to 220cc bored out TL125 motors,about 1978/9,

that has had the front down tube shortened to allow the bigger motor to be fitted ????

Edited by motomike

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions, I am hoping that a previous owner or the builder will be able to give a definitive answer in the near future. In the meantime, I will contemplate the merits or otherwise of this project while sipping Mojitas in Cuba for a couple of weeks - that should do it!

Hi all,

just registered as a member to this great site! The "mystery" Honda is mine and firstly, thanks to Jim for posting pics this to the forum.

Cheers for the replies so far....i have always trialled Honda's, TL 125(bored to 150cc, schoolboy days!), Fraser Honda and my TLR 250 which i have owned for 15 yrs! Never seen one of these before which, as Motomike suggests, is a Jerred. Anyone know; should the front end be TL125 or similar? And the engine? A one-off frame or small production run? Appx value for insurance purposes? Any more photo's or info would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Paul

Four stroke finale. The Honda trials story is available on ebay now. There are a couple of pics of the Hondas in there. No talk of a 250 version though. Looked like they were built around 79.(unbelievably 30 yrs ago) Looks like starting life as XL125/185s of the day with 150- 220cc variants. :D

I think yours has been doctored to take the 250 motor. I would be tempted to doctor it back to take the 125/185 motor agian if it was mine.

Hi all,

just registered as a member to this great site! The "mystery" Honda is mine and firstly, thanks to Jim for posting pics this to the forum.

Cheers for the replies so far....i have always trialled Honda's, TL 125(bored to 150cc, schoolboy days!), Fraser Honda and my TLR 250 which i have owned for 15 yrs! Never seen one of these before which, as Motomike suggests, is a Jerred. Anyone know; should the front end be TL125 or similar? And the engine? A one-off frame or small production run? Appx value for insurance purposes? Any more photo's or info would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Paul

Paul

A small production run,I have seen the front with marazochi (if thats how you spell it ) and bultaco legs, with a honda hub,with the ribs skimmed off,

Bo has a good point,about putting a smaller motor back in it, I would think the handling would improve,looks forward heavy with the 250 lump.

and with enough pics you could make a copy of the original tank,it was a pretty slab sided thing,

Has the down tube beeen shortened to take the 250 ?

Edited by motomike

Hi all,

thanks for the info chaps. Looking at the couple of pics i now have, it is a jerred frame for sure. I have in my garage several variants of the Honda motors, (XL 125, 125 6 spd, 185) so for originality may be nice to convert back. If any pics of the bodywork come to light then i would like to replicate tank & sidepanels.

As it is it actually performs well, and the front end feels good. Whether or not the engine produces more usable power than say a 185 i can't say. I haven't yet trialled it. May be worth a weigh-in to see what it tops out at! If anyone knows for sure what forks,wheel,yokes etc. made-up the front end then i'll source the bits.

Value in original condition anyone?

Regards,

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

pp1.jpg

pp2.jpg

pp3.jpg

pp4.jpg

I have a Fraser Honda 250XL which needs a rebuild. Its is tatty, but cute an different. Quite different with two rear chains.

• 5 years later...