Pinky Rear Disc Conversion

angus

I just bought a pinky which hasn't being used alot in the last 4 years. It has a rear disc conversion which the previous owner told me was on the bike when he bought it.

Were there kits available for this conversion or was there a favourite rear wheel and disc? It currently doesn't work and i'm split between fixing or replacing it.

Talon used to do a rear disc conversion and so, I think, did Shirt. Otherwise it could be something a previous owner has done by using parts from just about anything. More likely to be one of the former.

Early disc brakes weren't brilliant, particularly aftermarket jobs. As the rear brake doesn't do a lot of work, especially in the type of sections these bikes are ridden in today - nowhere near as hard as those of the era, therefore continually being able to stop dead is not so much as an issue - if getting it to work is going to cause you problems it may be worth going back to the original set up, assuming the chassis still allows it.

A Mono rear wheel and parts should be available quite cheaply but watch out for the condition of the rim and spokes. Rims can corrode and if it needs replacing and new spokes it won't be cheap.

After thought - I wonder if you could get a TYZ rear wheel and caliper to fit seeing as it has already been modified for a disc. A few of them have been broken for parts now and they have a good tubeless rim, no leaking air through the spokes

Edited by Woody

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for the help guys. After getting round to hefting my self off my a*** and getting a look at the bike I found that it is a shirt front conversion, I really need to start paying attention when i shell out for these things. The rear caliper is identical to a Gas Gas item I spotted on ebay so that's cleared up.