04 Beta Rev 3 270 Engine Problems

betabegood

Hello, This is my first post on here

Bought this bike as a first trials bike, got it home everything seemed ok.

Next day, give the bike a good clean up. Strip and clean the carb start greasing the bearings etc.

I then notice there is no gearbox oil showing in the sightglass. I had some spare so I thought I would drop the old stuff out and put in some fresh oil.

Ok, hardly anything came out, just a couple of drips.

Filled it with the recommended amount and can see no leaks.

Start the bike and it's now seriously smokey

Mixed the fuel at 1.5% as the manual said.

I suspect the crank seal on the oil side is leaking so has anyone put new seals in their beta and how much of a job is it to do? Any special tools needed?

I have ordered the pair of crank seals, left casing gasket and waterpump housing gasket

Thanks

Edited by BetaBeGood

Thought it would just be like a japanese 2 stroke where you can access and install crank seals from the outside. behind the clutch casing and behind flywheel/stator assembly??? And the seals being the normal plastic type that are tapped in lightly with a large socket or something of the same diameter.

I'll have to strip it down and have a look.

Don't really want to split cases at this stage as I wasn't planning on doing the main bearings.

Cheers

Ok stripped the engine down and split the cases. There is a gasket in between.

Do I put it back together with a new gasket or do people use the sealer like 3 bond or something as you would on the cases of an mx bike??

Main bearings are trashed.

Cheers

I should have ordered the gasket kit really but I had ordered the ones i needed separate allready.

Just thought it was strange having a gasket in the centre of the cases as I would have thought there would be more possibility of crankcase air leaks and leaks from gearbox to crankcase doing it this way.

Also noticed one of the reed petals not sealing shut correctly.

Hopefully it will be a good bike once all the problems are sorted :(

Gday, you must use a gasket between the cases, it affects end float on the shafts inside the engine. Many bikes use gaskets (Suzuki) and many don't (Yamaha) so it is no real issue. Make sure the gasket surfaces are very clean before reassembly. A kitchen scouring pad (one of the scotchbrite type, not metallic) works really well for this.

HTH,

Cheers,

Stork