Beginner Needing Advice

gunn

Hi all

I am very new in the trials scene and although really enjoying it, I am getting very frustrated at my lack of ability! I know that over time I will get better but I really hate coming last in the easy trials and would like either some one on one coaching or some informal advice about where Im going wrong. I know I cant rush the brake and clutch control side, nor the balace side but some clear advice would hopefully help me get some sense of achievement out of this great sport. I am based in Kendal, Cumbria but am somewhat limited by where I can practise. If anyone can aim me in the right direction that would be great.

cheers

Gunn

Hi mate,

You entering the Westmorland Motor Club Trials? Dont worry about coming last, I did a few trials a few years back around the shap and milnthorpe area and didnt even finish the first one! How long you been riding for? Like you say, its just practice practice, eventually things start to click. Do you not know anyone with a farm around the Kendal area? Try balancing on flat ground using the suspension and brakes to start, but clutch and brake control just comes with obstacle practice.

Andy

cheers mate, but at the moment I think thats unlikely - too many fives!! What sort of training/practise are you doing?

I think advise of a better rider watching me would really pay off as I dont think the basics are in place yet. I used to ride an off road trails bike a good 20 years ago and I've only had my bike 4 weeks (I though it was much longer so maybe I shouldnt get wound up about being at the bottom!!!)

My main problem is the trials are wiping me out - Im getting really knackered arms by mid afternoon. I'm a relatively slim 6"2 and feel the stock handlebar position is keeping my weight too much over the front wheels, would some of the higher bars help?

Gunn

Hi Andy

Ive joined the Barrow and District MCC and did the very slippy course out near Grange over Sands on the 15th (induction by mud - definitely not the best trial to start with!) and did the Cumberland County MCC Lloyds mini trial this weekend! At the moment I'm a bit stuck for transport (towbar to be fitted and trailer to be obtained!!) so am reliant on my mates hence to start with anyway I'll probably end up more involved with the Cumberland County club, but once I get my own transport Im hoping to get out more down the south of the county. Where do you practise in the area? Do you have any beginners training in your club?

cheers

Hi gunn

Years ago i was told by some of the best guys of the time some advice that I still follow today.

Let your rear tyer down more than you think (max 4 psi)

And stay in first gear, things happen a bit slower in first, try not to use the clutch or front break to much.

But most of all ride and ride and ride. :D:rolleyes:

hi there gunn

i live in morecambe and in just about the same position as you i did the same trial on the 15th at least its not just me who thought it was very slippery.

ive only been riding since october and that was my first trial. im going to do some of lancs countys trials which are all based around lancaster, ive been told that the easy trials arent too difficult but ill be the judge of that. eh

hi there gunn

i live in morecambe and in just about the same position as you i did the same trial on the 15th at least its not just me who thought it was very slippery.

ive only been riding since october and that was my first trial. im going to do some of lancs countys trials which are all based around lancaster, ive been told that the easy trials arent too difficult but ill be the judge of that. eh

Hi Tomlinson_d

I spoke to a few guys on the day and it was supposed to be a hard trial (even the easy course!) but the Barrow courses apparently have a reputation of being tricky! There's supposed to be a reasonable trial on over in Reeth this coming Sunday - just thought you maybe interested, its got quite a few different courses including some an easy one for the newbies.

cheers

Gunn

i thought it wasnt going too well when i told someone it was my first trial and he did that ooohh kinda noise. it doesnt fill you full of confidence.

that trial sounds good but im busy this weekend, i could do with entering some easy trials to build my confidence.

Hey Gunn

It took me 3 trials before I managed to actually finish one and then another year to get out of the bottom of the table so patience is handy! Know your limits and set yourself goals for each time out. My current goal is to get regular top ten in clubman class and managed to get my second at 9th on Sunday! Couldn't believe it!

Practice is real important as you get chance to work on techniques without the pressure and time constraints. Try some local landowners, most around here are sympathetic to trials riders and don't mind you practicing occasionally like once a month or so, if you get a few onside you can have a different regular riding place every week.

A simple thing you can do at home in the garage is just stand on the bike and practice balancing in one place.

Let your rear tyer down more than you think (max 4 psi)

And stay in first gear, things happen a bit slower in first, try not to use the clutch or front break to much.

I agree with all that, keeping it simple with the clutch and brake is definatley sensible to start with, just leaves you with throttle and balance to worry about!

I would add always walk a section at least once and try to pick a route, on the first lap spend a bit of time watching other riders to see where the tricky spots of a section are and how they're tackling them. Don't be afraid to ask advice, trials is the friendliest sport I've ever got into and people are happy to help!

Hey Gunn

It took me 3 trials before I managed to actually finish one and then another year to get out of the bottom of the table so patience is handy! Know your limits and set yourself goals for each time out. My current goal is to get regular top ten in clubman class and managed to get my second at 9th on Sunday! Couldn't believe it!

Practice is real important as you get chance to work on techniques without the pressure and time constraints. Try some local landowners, most around here are sympathetic to trials riders and don't mind you practicing occasionally like once a month or so, if you get a few onside you can have a different regular riding place every week.

A simple thing you can do at home in the garage is just stand on the bike and practice balancing in one place.

I agree with all that, keeping it simple with the clutch and brake is definatley sensible to start with, just leaves you with throttle and balance to worry about!

I would add always walk a section at least once and try to pick a route, on the first lap spend a bit of time watching other riders to see where the tricky spots of a section are and how they're tackling them. Don't be afraid to ask advice, trials is the friendliest sport I've ever got into and people are happy to help!

Hi John

cheers for the advice. I had a go at the trials at Cogden Hall, well done with the 10th place btw, but found the forest section just too difficult, I lost confidence and got fed up. My day wasnt helped by batting my head on the branch coming to section 17 and twisting my knee - it really wasnt a good day for me ;) .

Both myself and my brother in law got very confused by the organiser, we were told to start on section 6 and ended up missing out sections 1 to 5 altogether as we didnt realise they were meant to be done (we had been told a few sections were cancelled!). Is it usual in your club to be told to start at random sections rather than work from 1 through to 18! It threw us somewhat and its something were going to have to watch out for.

Other than that it was a great event, especially when the sun came out.

Look forward to improving through this year and getting over your way again. Also seen the facebook pics, you got some good shots in there.

cheers

Gunn

Hi John

cheers for the advice. I had a go at the trials at Cogden Hall, well done with the 10th place btw, but found the forest section just too difficult, I lost confidence and got fed up. My day wasnt helped by batting my head on the branch coming to section 17 and twisting my knee - it really wasnt a good day for me ;) .

Both myself and my brother in law got very confused by the organiser, we were told to start on section 6 and ended up missing out sections 1 to 5 altogether as we didnt realise they were meant to be done (we had been told a few sections were cancelled!). Is it usual in your club to be told to start at random sections rather than work from 1 through to 18! It threw us somewhat and its something were going to have to watch out for.

Other than that it was a great event, especially when the sun came out.

Look forward to improving through this year and getting over your way again. Also seen the facebook pics, you got some good shots in there.

cheers

Gunn

Hey,

The forest is always a bit of a nightmare, I took a great tumble trying to get over the big log. Whacked open the throttle, got nothing but slippage, whanged my bash plate on it and fell over backwards. Definately my best for a while!

And that branch! Didn't do it this time but plenty of times before! I'm guessing the one with the stream on the right hand side? I was photographing just down from there and saw at least 4 people fall victim to it!

With regards to the starting point (and i am gutted for you not realising, I saw that on the scores ;) ) the idea is to start off the classes at different sections to minimise congestion at the start - ie. 200 riders turning up at section one. This way its splits the pack up a bit so there isn't as much queing. Bugger if you don't know whats going on though.

If you fancy an easier day out I would recommend one of the Darlington trials in our area, they're usually a bit easier going and if you give me a shout you're welcome to tag along on the ride round. Next one is the 22nd at Penn Hill nr Leyburn.

John.