99 Gasgas Jumps Into Gear ?

deckmaster01

hi people its me again got a problem with my bike,took it out today and its running fine,topped up with new oil before i went out,just jetwashed it at my local garage started it up and left it ticking over when all of a sudden it jumped in gear and went into the back of my van then hit the deck.must have looked like something out of jerermy beadle as the garage was packed with people.what would cause this?thanks james

hi people its me again got a problem with my bike,took it out today and its running fine,topped up with new oil before i went out,just jetwashed it at my local garage started it up and left it ticking over when all of a sudden it jumped in gear and went into the back of my van then hit the deck.must have looked like something out of jerermy beadle as the garage was packed with people.what would cause this?thanks james

James,

If this is a one-time thing, my guess is that you didn't have it "completely" in neutral. The shift drum has a little star-shaped attachment and a spring-loaded wheel that drops down in between the points of the star to keep it in each gear. The spot for neutral that the wheel drops down into is smaller and less shallow, which allows the shift from first (through the neutral spot) to second gear easier. Sometimes the wheel will not completely drop into the smaller, neutral-stop depression securely and it is easily knocked over to the next gear (first or second).

If this is not a one-time thing, you may need to replace the small spring that pulls on the lever with the roller that rides in the star and keeps the tension on the roller. You can get at the roller by taking off the sidecase and removing the clutch assembly. There are other possibilites, but the lost tension of the lever spring is usually the cause.

Jon

Hi

Had the same thing with my 09 250.... only ridden it around 2 hrs..... washed it then pushed back in the garage, (luckly) put it on a stand and started it, after about 20 seconds it jumped into gear but as the rear wheel was off the ground no harm done.... I phoned GAS GAS UK about this as its so new but they just said I had not got it in neutral corrctly???

Anybody else had this happen?

Cheers

Edited by smudger984

• 2 weeks later...

my mates bike did it not long ago and it rode itself into the back of his van. they normally give you a bit of warning when they're not in neutral properly, you can hear the dogs on the gears clattering together, then 'click' and she's off into the back of your van. lovely.

• 1 year later...

I live in Spain and have just purchased what I believe to be a late 90s 280cc Gasgas trials, I paid virtually zilch for it as a non runner, a great mechanically minded friend of mine got it running ok and says it has great compression......a few problems, firstly it jumps out of neutral, the float chamber which is a sort of clear plastic has a hairline crack in it and weeps fuel.

The clutch (which is brand new) slips but we think that this is perhaps a problem where the previous owner fitted it incorrectly.

Do you think that we have got the year right and is this a standard carb? are the previous posts about jumping out of neutral a common problem and easily sorted?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I live in Spain and have just purchased what I believe to be a late 90s 280cc Gasgas trials, I paid virtually zilch for it as a non runner, a great mechanically minded friend of mine got it running ok and says it has great compression......a few problems, firstly it jumps out of neutral, the float chamber which is a sort of clear plastic has a hairline crack in it and weeps fuel.

The clutch (which is brand new) slips but we think that this is perhaps a problem where the previous owner fitted it incorrectly.

Do you think that we have got the year right and is this a standard carb? are the previous posts about jumping out of neutral a common problem and easily sorted?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't remember the carbs coming with a clear plastic floatbowl but it could be an aftermarket item. Check with your dealer, he/she may be able to order you a new bowl.

The chassis VIN number should tell you what year the bike is. It will start with "VTRGG" and the 3rd and 4th numbers after that will be the year, for instance,"97" will be 1997, "98" is 1998 etc.

Sometimes a bent shift fork can cause your symptoms but usually it's a problem with the shift mechanism/shift roller.

As for the clutch, it may be the pressure plate was not aligned correctly (there is usually an "X" on one of the spring towers that aligns with a mark on the plate) or the "mixed" disk (the plate with fiber on only one side), if it has it, was not put in first.

Jon