When To Change The Coolant?

pinkbike

Regarding the coolant, my old 06 I noticed that the casing had corroded and was repaired. So what to do on the new bikes? Is it recommended to drain out the new (factory) coolant and replace with aftermarket or just keep to my usual schedule and replace twice yearly?

I thought that from 2007 onwards that the casings where not supposed to corrode so easily. Can anybody shed any light?

Thanks in advance.

Folks, the low down on the rev 3 erosion/corrosion/decay is like this:

The reason the casing eats away is because 1) the casing coating is poor and susceptible to 'flaking' around the impeller area and 2) once flaked off the xposed magnesium is eaten away by the alkaline Bardhal coolant (that Beta insists on using probably because it is cheap) and the cavitation action of the impeller driving the coolant onto that/those surfaces. Almost all coolants with Elthylene Glycol are Alkaline and will decay magnesium.

Solution: From new, all Beta owners should dump and flush the cooling system and replenish with Motul Factoryline Organic Coolant. This coolant is ph neutral and will not eat the magnesium. Shell also make an 'Organic' coolant but unlike the Motul it is not stated that it suits magnesium cases.

I know this from experience. Even a casing that is severly corroded but not yet through to the gearbox is salvagable simply by doing the above.

This looks to be the one to use, I did a little research and it appears to have the right protecting properties.

Next question, where can you get this? (UK)

Found some.

ebay 150309775024

Edited by pinkbike