Yoke Bolt Snapped

edgas250

bought an 06 sy250 2 weeks ago and just noticed there are 2 yoke bolts snapped! 1 on top yoke and 1 on the bottom, and the prev owner has put silicon in between the crack! i couldn't beleive it, ill never by a bike on ebay again!

How do i go about getting the end out, could i do it with the forks still on or would i need to remove them?

Also i have bought a new rear sprocket 42tooth, originally it had a 37tooth, now the chain wont fit, can you buy small lenghts of chain? or would i need to buy a bigger chain?

Thanks in advance people!

bought an 06 sy250 2 weeks ago and just noticed there are 2 yoke bolts snapped! 1 on top yoke and 1 on the bottom, and the prev owner has put silicon in between the crack! i couldn't beleive it, ill never by a bike on ebay again!

How do i go about getting the end out, could i do it with the forks still on or would i need to remove them?

Also i have bought a new rear sprocket 42tooth, originally it had a 37tooth, now the chain wont fit, can you buy small lenghts of chain? or would i need to buy a bigger chain?

Thanks in advance people!

Was the guy you bought it off the only previous owner? if so, get in touch with him and ask why he didnt tell you about it. then explain to him that you are going to take it to a workshop to get the studs out and send him the bill.

I think it would be possible to do the job with the forks still in, dont take my word for it though, I may be wrong! the bolts are pretty thick so an Easy-out should do the trick I think.

as for the chain, if you get a chain splitter you can remove some links.

All the best

Tom

i have sent him an email, the log book says 4 prev owners. so im guessing he's going to say it was previous owner, :D

as for the chain i need it extending not shorting,

cheers

ahhhh, sorry I misread it, im sure there is a way to add links but for the cost you may aswell replace the chain I think.

Tom

Hi EDGAS250,

I remember you used to have an old Gasser.

If it were me, I would strip out the forks so you can properly align each yoke (triple clamp) into a machine vice so you can accurately drill out a centre hole in the piece of bolt left in the yoke. Would be good if you could first get a small centre punch in to pop the centre - has to really be bang on. I wouldn't use an easi out as if this snaps inside the bolt then you would never get the bolt out. The bolt would be an M8x1.25, if you first use a pilot drill, say 3mm then a tapping drill, 6.8mm for M8, you could tap out the thread, effectively removing the broken bolt.

I think you were from the Guisborough area, there should be a few riders around there who would have some short lengths of 520 chain that they would give you, try Allan Smith or Fothergill if they are still in the area, they would help.

Bye, PeterB.

Not all of the 520 chains interconnect very well, Iris for example, has a peculiar size pin (bound to get some jokes on this one) and I think you would really need to get a length of chain that is the same make as your present one to be sure that you can connect. If Shropshire is close to N.Wales, then there are a bunch of riders around Llanglochllen who tune in to TC who may be able to help - can't remember the district too well.

Ta ta, PeterB.

• 2 weeks later...