125 Four Stroke

rodmac

Had a ride on an SY175 today after a trial, not in sections, just around the car park but enough to appreciate what a good little bike they are. I'm 17 stone and a bit and it pulled me no problem, as I knew it would. Not sure why people think they don't have enough power to pull anyone over 10 stone - put a pillion on any trials bike and it will pull both riders with ease...

It is a perfect bike for an easy route and more than capable of tackling the clubman route in our traditional nationals. Good suspension and brakes, bullet proof engine as mentioned and can be had for very reasonable money.

Being picky and assessing it for personal preference, I would have liked just a little more flywheel weight and it was slightly high geared but I've no idea if it was on standard gearing or not. I'd probably have gone 1 less on the front sprocket. The flywheel weight isn't really an issue with the bike, it plonks perfectly in bottom without using the clutch but in second I felt it may stall when trying to drop to tickover speed. Slipping the clutch obviously negates this but I prefer not to if possible and there was the high gearing issue to consider here also. This is however, personal preference, not a fault with the bike.

As with anything you need to try before you buy but I don't think you would be dissapointed. A very competent and easy bike to ride.

I am over 14 stone near 15 maybe and I have the 125, it pulls me no problem. When the flywheel mod was done to some bikes I have heard they can stall easily as Woody points out, I never bothered with the mod on my bike. Also I went down a tooth on the front sprocket as well. Only bug bear is you need to keep an eye on the carburation, it tends to flood or cough and stall easily on the 125 annoying if a steep drop in a section you need to blip the throttle, maybe not on the later 175s I don't know. As I have said before they are a cracking bike and low maintenance as well, none of that radiator nonsense to be messing with. :D

There is a 175 for sale in the classifieds on here, I have seen it and it is a tidy bike.

I saw but not rode one of these little Scorpa Fourstrokes (175??) at a trial today, stating the bleeding obvious I know but what a lovely little bike, very quiet, seemed light. The rider was a novice but seemed happy with it, if I was not such a Twinshock devotee I'd go for one.

Wayne...

According to birketts the racing ty-s 125 weighs 78kg which is 10kg heavier than my gasser, which is a hell of a lot, but if you ride the easy route, it would probably be perfect for that.

But from what i have heard they are really nice to ride.

Edited by GasGasben

the weight of the bike doesn't matter as i'm only going to be playing about really. the only thing is i need to sell the gasser first but just thought i'd see how many of them are about and likely to be for sale, got a funny feeling i might have to come down country a bit to keep my options open!!!!!!!!!