Ty Mono Tank Problem

jw73

hi guys im in the middle of sortin my ty250 mono you know that 40 quid pile i bought anyway its got a steel tank on it and its quite rusty inside and was wodering what i can do to sort it , it already has bits rattling around in the bottom and i wondered if there is anything like cure rust i can treat it with , might sound like a daft question but ive been outbid on every tank on evilbay thanks

ps anyone know where i can get a tank cover?

As long as it doesn't leak I would personally shove about half a litre of fuel in there and give it a bloody good shaking... this should remove the worst of the rust! From here I reckon it would be best to cut the tank neatly open, give it a scrub then a good coat of decent metal paint, unless your a bloody good welder swish the tank in the bath, get it welded properly and then neaten up the outside with paint to match the frame.

I always thought the tank was one peice without a cover or you meaning after market parts to hide the rust?

Go Plastic ! Currently on eBay UK (Item number: 290300573682) Old 80's plastic tanks will have scratches and yellowing but no "Rust"

If you get it sell your old one I bet you will get good money for it.

To restore a plastic tank Sand out scratches with med paper finish with xx fine wet dry paper and polish with some type of wax will look like new. you will need good decals to stick to plastic due to petrol seeping through.

I got rid of rust in a petrol tank some years back by putting in a couple of handfulls of clean large gravel from the local gutter.......and shook it about for half an hour. Don't worry about putting tank sealant into the tank unless it leaks. Wash it out. Fit the fuel tap. Done. Zero cost.

use a handful of sheet metal screws for hvac ducting. #8 self piercing by 1/2 long. because I have tons of them. The hardened and sharp edges and points do a nice job cutting the rust. much better than nuts and bolts and I presume better than rounded gravel stones.

I use the acid etch metal prep solution in the tank with the screws, and shake shake shake.

personally i like the kreme coating if done right. inside must be totally dry, and acetone washed, for it to stick. all in the kit, just follow directions carefully.

k