C15 Kickstart Shaft

woody

Does anyone know if there is a splined kickstart shaft available for the early distributor type C15 (Star?) engine? It's a 1963 engine.

Really fed up having to drift out cotterpins every time I have to remove the kickstart. No matter which type I use they bend and really take some hammering to remove. The knuckle on my forefinger really hurting and being twice it's normal size thanks to the hammer was the last straw this tonight...

Or I may have to investigate the possiblility of grafting a splined shaft from something else onto the C15 gear - or rather I will have to talk nicely and grovel to someone else... That sort of stuff is beyond my capabilities

Hi Guy's,

Just looked on Terry Weedy's web site ,but it does not seem to be working , and looks as if it is under construction, I have found other websites like this, they never do get finished, and leave me tearing my hair out, (thats why a I am nearly bold), If I remember when I bought my cotter type, he did have some splined ones there, about

Yes, I checked the website after Spudsdad's post but as you say - empty, under construction.

I think the splined kicker is going to be too much hassle so I think I will stock up with cotter pins and change them frequently from now on before they get too bent to want to come out.

Having spent a fair amount of time and effort on my C15 frame, modifying and slimming it down as well as having it straightened so that the wheels are now nearly in line at least.... I had got to thinking a while ago that it may be easier to just buy one of the new Faber frames with the bottom frame tubes. I asked them to email some pictures of the frame last year but nothing came. I thought never mind, I will take a look at it at the show. Not one there...

I've spent all weekend doing further repairs to the frame and still have a bit to do. Red Marley trial is 3 weeks away and time is running out fast. Again I thought just get the Faber frame. Looked on the website earlier - Still not shown, it hasn't been updated for some time. I did see a picture of one in Old Bike Mart a couple of months ago so I assume they are making them - but as you say, why not show it on the website...??

So I'll stick with the original now.

Thanks for that - I was looking at the wrong (as in Avery) website

I'm guessing that the splined shaft is for the later engines though, but I'll make an enquiry.

Wish I hadn't seen the picture of the lovely NEB belt drive alloy clutch..... It's one of the biggest headaches on my C15. Put oil in the clutch and it slips, particulary on starting. Run it dry and the clutch is perfect but the chain doesn't last long.

Hi Guy's .

Hi Spudsdad, Yea Thanks for that, you would think the old blighter would get his act together at his age. So what we are saying is that to find Terry Weedy, DO NOT look at his half finished web site at www.averyproducts.co.uk, but look at www.terryweedy.weebly.com.

Now I am revved up I will email Howard at Faber frames and try to get him to update his website. but don't hope.

Ps Woody stick with the cotters mate if you have a lathe make some out of decent steel, it is easy, Just a tail note to the Faber New Otter frames, I think they pinched the idea for the frame tubes under the engine from OTF,yes OTF, I have the proof.

Regard's Charlie.

Just a tail note to the Faber New Otter frames, I think they pinched the idea for the frame tubes under the engine from OTF,yes OTF, I have the proof.

Regard's Charlie.

I heard that it was to make them elligible for the Pre65 Scottish as with the frame tubes back in they resembled the original. They are supposedly not oil in frame either. I was also told they had done one for Jock McCom.... (spelling??) so they could hardly not be elligible.

Hi Guy's.

Hi Woody,

That must be a back door way of getting them, "Otter"frame that is, exepted as elligible for the Scottish trial.

Giving one to Jock McIn**** (let Colin Dommett spell his name ,as he sometimes get's it right so iv'e heard) must make it OK for the next couple of years, I wonder if the Spanish riders know that.

Regard's Charlie.

I tried a MK2 Otter Faber framed C15 at Red Marley trial last year and the owner of the bike told me then that they were making a new frame with bottom tubes, no oil in frame, which would be compliant for Pre65 Scottish.

As the cost of the frames is somewhere around

Hi Guy's

Hi Woody,

Well I emailed Howard yesterday, and asked him to send me a couple of photos, so that i can put them on here, if he was not going to update the Faber web site, But no reply from him yet. I should grovel a bit and get your mate to make you a couple of pins, as you have the Red Marley deadline. Perhaps I should make a few up when i have a bit of time. There is a small picture of the frame in the latest Classic Dirt Bike, but that has Oil in the frame , you can see the filler neck, Perhaps you can cover this over with the tank, and keep your Sandwiches in the oil tank that you fit? Only an idea.

Regards Charlie.

• 2 weeks later...

Woody - I was considering a Faber frame for my BSA and spoke to Howard this week, he tells me that he's just about to start a batch of the new frames and they will be ready in about 6 weeks (not soon enough for Red Marley for me either so going with a fairly unmodified B40 frame) should be ready in time though.

As for Faber they don't seem to want to answer any emails, I tried them a number of times before calling but still haven't had a response to any of the messages (even the one placing an order and asking them to contact me so I could make payment! Wish my business could afford to handle its customers in that way....)

Hi Guy's

Well I e-mailed Howard at Faber and asked him if he could send me a couple of photos of the new frame. Well within a couple of days, he e-mailed me back and said that he had just had a computor crash so was unable to post the photos onto there web site. but he did say that he would send me a couple to post on Trials Central as soon as he could. But that as been well over a week ago, so perhaps some of you guy's could e-mail him and say Charlie Prescott is still waiting for the photos, he might then send them to me ?

Regard's Charlie.

If it's that hard to buy one, not sure I could be bothered. I'm happy enough with the standard C15 frame with a few alterations anyway as long as it doesn't twist too much again. If it does I'll have to have a rethink but if it is this difficult to even make contact with a business with a view to buying their product, I'd probably look elsewhere.