C15 Kickstart Shaft

woody

No, didn't get an entry again but it's done me a favour I guess as I can now use the money to put towards a trip to the Robregordo 2 day in Spain.

To be honest I'm losing interest in the Scottish due to the absurd eligibility criteria. To put my bike in what you could call a 'performance state' comparable with others, not necessarily on a par, it would cost too much money for the brand new 'pre65 eligible' parts as I can't do it on a budget with components I already have and which don't look out of place. My forks and yokes aren't eligible and I went in 'the book' in 2006 and haven't got an entry since. It's one reason I never got a Faber frame before as they weren't eligible but when you see what other riders are allowed to use year after year it's laughable.

My main interest in the C15 this year is the Manx Classic and main objective is to get it working right for that. It doesn't have what you might call the 'ambience' of the Scottish which is more about the overall occassion than the sections, but the Manx sections are right up there with the best classic trials on the calendar and from a rider's point of view (well, mine anyway) is a better trial than the Scottish. Roll on May (Robregordo) and September for the Manx.

Hi Guy's

Hi Woody,and Dave.

Your right about the boys at Faber, I can't understand the problem if you have a product that sells why not make them.I know it is far easier to make a batch of frames or anything come to that,as while you are making or forming one bit it is not much more trouble to make six or even twelve say. And there can be no excuse that they are waiting for material prices to drop as you can buy cfs or T45 at the same price it as always been. And if they can't get the frames bronze welded or tiged there must be 101 competent welders out there that are crying out for a job, (They must have a jig of some sort).The laser cutting man that we use is standing about just waiting for a job so that he can pay the instalment on his machine. I bet he would even pay for the delivery of bits. Anyway you know where I am coming from.

Unfortuanatly Faber is about the only company making frames for C and B BSA engines, with the exeption of Paul Jackson who told me a while back that he would build a batch if he had enough orders, and the only other that springs to mind is Eddie Bull who I think built his and Eric Boococks frame. But the major stumbling block, which could be the problem with the new frame ?(and It should not be ) is that if you boy,s buy one and eventualy get it delivered, with the intentions of building a bike for next years pre-65 Scottish, without a rubber stamp on the frame to say yes it is exeptable, where do you and indeed Faber stand, it could all be put into the hands of "SuetheBas****s.com" couldn't it. This is how stupid this one trials regulations are. As you say Woody "The Magic" Manx classic two day trial has just as much nostalgia but without the hassel of worrying if this part or that is allowed. but you still need to get a entry don't you, but you can go for this trial with peace of mind that if you get your entry, all you need worrry about is the ferry. Well thats waisted an hour but do I care. i need the finger exercise for delicate throttle responce.

Regard's Charlie.

Don't know about looking like a factory frame as I have never seen one but even though it has bottom frame tubes it still has oil in frame. I thought the 'pre65 Scottish elligible' version was not having oil in frame.

I'm assuming it is the latest Faber MK3 in view of the bottom frame tubes, looks like a Faber where the top tube joins the vertical under the seat, the biggest identifying feature is usually the swingarm pivot area but this is obscured by the rider.

As he is now riding an oil in frame bike himself you would have to assume oil in frame is ok for a BSA in the pre65 Scottish.

Hi Guy's.

Hi Woody,

I think looking at the photo more closely that the object on the left is the oil tank and not the air cleaner box. If you look there are tubes in and out of it. but I reckon you must have to fill the tank through the frame, as the frame filler cap is most certainly there>or could the frame now be used to carry extra fuel, now theres a thought. I think if i can remember the frame at Wright'ys show had the top and seat tube as one with a bend where the gusett is on the Mk2 frames, so the one in the picture is a modified Mk2. It will be intresting to see if this is the bike that he rides in the two day won't it.

Regard's Charlie.

Was the MK3 frame at the show? If it was I missed it somehow as I never saw it on their stand. I think you are right about the top tube being all in one as per the original frame as that was how it was in the picture I saw. Jock's bike looks like a MK2 in that area but as I never saw the frame at the show assumed that the design had changed from the photo I saw, so I'd guess you're right about it being a MK2. Not sure about the iol tank though as there appears to be a tube coming from the frame filler cap down in front of the tank.

As regards elligibility, I'm way past caring....

Hi Guy's .

Hi Woody,

Just looked at the picture of the Mk 3 frame in the latest Classic Dirt Bike mag and it is as I said with the bend, and the two frame rails under the engine swoop up at the back to the swinging arm box come footrest supports, the weight of the frame is said to be only 10 kg,which is lighter than the Mk2 even with the rails .The rest of the frame is very much in keeping with the Mk 2 frame and does carry the oil in the frame as before. But looking at it it would be an easy fix to fit one of Terry Weedy's oil tanks and air cleaner unit's to make it look more original , like the first batch of BSA C15t,s.We will have to wait and see.

Regard's Charlie.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guy's.

Well it looks like Faber lost out on a sale of one of there new frames, by messing about. But to someone as determined to get what he wants, Dave Dawson as gone out and found a Mk2 Faber frame to build into his BSA ,and a very good job him and his dad are doing. If you would like to have a look at the project I'm sure Dave wont mind me pointing you to his Blog site.http://classicrider444.blogspot.com/ and good look with the bike Dave , may bump into you one of these days ,as thinking of doing some of the midland AMCA trials on one or other of our Fabers.

Regard's Charlie.