Beware Of The Skid Demon

martin belair

Ah yes. The early Japanese to English manual translations were always fun. Especially when it came to the technical stuff, you needed to repair your bike.

"Caution - Nut remove first for the bolt on depressor of kickstart is near, and damage may be caused with any removed frequency."

Ah yes. The early Japanese to English manual translations were always fun. Especially when it came to the technical stuff, you needed to repair your bike.

"Caution - Nut remove first for the bolt on depressor of kickstart is near, and damage may be caused with any removed frequency."

Darrel, a love of screwed up english is one thing that Gary Jackson and I shared. Gary's favorite was at 99 TdN in Luxemburg, the riders had to ride through the town to get to the practice area. Well some of the riders were doin' wheelies to the delight of the townspeople. The police got involved and asked the organisers to warn the riders, so they came and spoke with all the team managers and asked us to tell our riders: "Please do not to make the clown in the city".

We understood perfectly.

Darrel, a love of screwed up english is one thing that Gary Jackson and I shared. Gary's favorite was at 99 TdN in Luxemburg, the riders had to ride through the town to get to the practice area. Well some of the riders were doin' wheelies to the delight of the townspeople. The police got involved and asked the organisers to warn the riders, so they came and spoke with all the team managers and asked us to tell our riders: "Please do not to make the clown in the city".

We understood perfectly.

I was especially fond of the manual for my 60's CL72 Honda Scrambler. The two full pages describing how sparkplugs are made, including the chemical formula for the ceramic core was fascinating to a gearhead like myself. I remember the very long paragraph describing the construction and ergonomic placement of the handlebars that waxed eloquently on how they had such a positive effect on the happiness of the user and ended with the statement "This could be said to symbolize Honda's kindness".....

I have to admit, I did spend many happy hours on that bike.

Jon