Strapping A Beta To A Trailer

mikey_boy

Hows everyone go about fastening their bikes to the trailers? I am slightly worried about the amount of pressure I seem to have to put the straps under to secure it and remove most of the suspension sag? At the minute I send a strap through either side of the Fork lower crowns and then one from each side of the frame above the foot pegs to fasten the back down.

Ive being thing of building a sump stand for the bike and strapping it too that, but then I guess the bike has no cushion from the suspension?

Cheers

Edited by mikey_boy

My trailer of 20 years has no "back", bike sits on the sump guard. Easier to store trailer. I prefer ropes from lower triple clamp, out 45 degrees, put tension on, but never to the extent of fully compressing suspension. Rear secured from footrest, under trailer frame and up to other footrest.

Hi,

i normally go from the handlebars down to the trailer and then a strap through the rear wheel, i dont think your going to harm the suspension on your bike, its designed to move! and if its the straps your concerned about, then i make them at work, and may be able to help with that.

Sam

Handlebar (from adjacent to the clamp) to trailer - security wire around both front and rear wheel to the trailer (stops the bike bouncing and secures it to the trailer in the unlikely event of the straps breaking)

I use non ratchet straps and pull them tight alternative sides until the forks are about 80% compressed. Yes there is obviously some stress on fork springs and seals, but this is the traditional system of trailer 'tying down' using the suspension action.

I have seen some trailers designed not to use any tie downs, these use slots to place the front wheel into and then a rear 'ramp' which folds over the rear wheel trapping it securely and using an arm and pin to fasten in place.

• 1 year later...

This is what I use to prevent the forks compressing too much when securing my bike to my trailer.

Get yourself a length of 32mm PVC plumbing pipe. Measure ( roughly) the distance between the bottom of the triple clamp and the dustcap on the fork leg. Cut two lengths of pipe to this measurement, and cut a slot length ways in both.

Simply push the pipe over each fork leg, then when securing bike with tie downs tighten them sufficiently so as to keep the bike and secure.

Not only does this prevent the forks from being compressed to much but keeps the bike nice and secure.

• 6 months later...

Hi,

i normally go from the handlebars down to the trailer and then a strap through the rear wheel, i dont think your going to harm the suspension on your bike, its designed to move! and if its the straps your concerned about, then i make them at work, and may be able to help with that.

Sam

I could do with some good quality straps, as all the one for sale at the moment seem to be Chinese crap!

I use 'endless' ratchet straps from the front wheel spindle and from the frame behind the footrests at approx 45deg.

I don't use ratchet straps with hooks as these can bounce off.

The front suspension isn't compressed as all and the rear suspension only a little.

Here's a shot of a road biek secured in this way.

Pete

FZRontrailer.jpg