Exaust

mattya

Gday, its something that technically should be done on a regular basis, say every couple of years for our bikes. Same with cleaning the rest of the exhaust system. How old is your beast? Gasser mufflers can be repacked, I've done a couple, you need to drill out the pop rivets to get them apart, clean and repack and re - rivet back together. Pop rivets and tool available from any hardware shop. Packing from any bike shop.

Cheers,

Stork

I have an 2002 GG 280, and have planned to repack my muffler... but not done it yet. It sounds like most any other trials bike. What happens if you let it go too long?

The performance and throttle response will deteriorate to a degree, but more important (beside irritating the bejezez out of the riders around you) is that the center steel perforated center will vibrate with exhaust pulses and gradually wear the inside so the short tubes that it fits into and will eventually come loose from the aluminum tubes and shift inside the muffler body. Unless you are good at repairing, you will have to replace the whole muffler.

Repacking the oval muffler bodies can be tricky (you can't just wrap the sheet around the core like a round muffler) and unless you have some experience with the "cut and fit" method, I'd use something like "SilentSport" packing which is a special loose packing, and quite easy to work with. The main thing is not to pack it too tight. Just follow the directions and you'll be fine.

Jon