Need Advice Fitting 7/8" Handlebars To A Gasgas 06

gunn

Hi

I have just bought some 7/8" handlebars with a higher rise for my bike and am now tring to to fit them (really should have considered this before hand!). I currently have the stock fatbar tapered bars on the bike. What shims or different clamps do I need and where can I get them. Obviously I would prefer the shim option as it should be cheaper, but is there any problem with this

cheers

Gunn

Hi

I have just bought some 7/8" handlebars with a higher rise for my bike and am now tring to to fit them (really should have considered this before hand!). I currently have the stock fatbar tapered bars on the bike. What shims or different clamps do I need and where can I get them. Obviously I would prefer the shim option as it should be cheaper, but is there any problem with this

cheers

Gunn

Gunn,

I just went out to the shop and compared the newer fatbar clamshell clamp to the older 7/8th bar mounts and they appear to be the same distance holes, so you can use the older mounts and shims. S-3 also makes a fatbat adjustable clamp that raises the bars up and Hebo also makes a taller set of the fatbars (I have a set on my 02' Pro, I don't like the newer low bars also) and they are part #HR30009285P and I think they come in silver and platinum colors. Here's a photo of them on my bike.

Jon

That's kinda what I said but in a different way :rolleyes: You simply go out & buy an old style set of clamps, Renthal ones are more expensive than GG ones but are better quality.

A cheap method of packing is to cut up an old style 6 bolt sprocket, the hole c/c's are the same as the clamps, all you need is some longer bolts.

Edited by PERCE

Cheers guys

Blocky - errrrmmm - no

Jordi, yeah I did think of that but chose the cheaper option (so I thought anyway!!!) of newer handlebars.

Perce and JSE, after trailing through the web, thats the opinion I was coming to, but I just hoped that there was someone who knew a supplier of 1 1/8" to 7/8" shim or spacer - surely there must be a company that allows the older size handlebars fit the newer size clamps. Ive found 1 1/8" down to 1" but not any further. Surely, as the most popular size of handlebar is the 7/8" and the cost to replace the clamps is more than a new set of bars, theres gotta be some interest if a company started producing spacers!

Is there any reason I shouldnt try and make some - is there a safety issue etc etc

The bottom line is Ive now got some shiny new renthal handlebar and I can neither use them nor send them back. :rolleyes:

Gunn

Perce and JSE, after trailing through the web, thats the opinion I was coming to, but I just hoped that there was someone who knew a supplier of 1 1/8" to 7/8" shim or spacer - surely there must be a company that allows the older size handlebars fit the newer size clamps. Ive found 1 1/8" down to 1" but not any further. Surely, as the most popular size of handlebar is the 7/8" and the cost to replace the clamps is more than a new set of bars, theres gotta be some interest if a company started producing spacers!

Is there any reason I shouldnt try and make some - is there a safety issue etc etc

Gunn,

I'd be a little wary of a spacer/shim as I'm concerned that it would reduce the clamping force and defeat the knurling safety feature on the bars. The absolute last thing you want is for your bars to rotate forward on a downhill drop-off as you will be immediately at full throttle and along for the ride as it will be next to impossible to bail off. I've seen it happen a couple of times and the results are not pretty.

Jon