B40 Clutch Basket

b40rt

Help

Just discovered play between the clutch centre and basket on my B40. How much is acceptable, if any ?

Might new roller bearings help, or is it time for (gulp) new clutch assembly.

Any info appreaciated.

Ross

Got a new clutch basket and centre + roller bearings. Still exactly the same (old basket was worn from friction plates anyway)

Was looking at Rupert Ratios book again and it mentions a thrust washer between drum and flange. Mine has never had one,

and looking for one on the trialsbits site it's not listed.

Any suggestions for a suppier ?

Thanks

Ross

C & D autos have bi-metalic (bronze/steel) thrust washer @ 6 thou, but it isn't listed for this model. Is this slight rock really a problem ?

Edited by B40RT

not a beeza expert.. but the bearing comes into play when the clutch is pulled in with the engine running... so never come under load, a single row bearing will always have "play". not sure about the thrust washer tho.

not a beeza expert.. but the bearing comes into play when the clutch is pulled in with the engine running... so never come under load, a single row bearing will always have "play". not sure about the thrust washer tho.

Trust washer is available, but not sure if required, as you say. Under load the plates lock up and all forces are transmitted through the gear box shaft, I hope.

Thanks Alan

Anybody (Wayne) wish to confirm.

I have the same play on my B40, it's not a problem. I don't have a thrust washer there either. Only problem I can think of is if the play is excessive then the primary chain may wear the edge off the basket teeth.

Bye, PeterB.

I have the same play on my B40, it's not a problem. I don't have a thrust washer there either. Only problem I can think of is if the play is excessive then the primary chain may wear the edge off the basket teeth.

Bye, PeterB.

Thanks PeterB

Ross