Coming Over From The Dark Side

olec

Hi guys!

After almost 10 years with enduros (HS, GNCC and 'special events'), I decided to explore the trials world more. My last races tended to be much trials anyway (like Erzberg), so I was thinking, what the heck, it sure doesn't hurt getting better so I can return to those extreme enduros even better skilled.

Anyway, I picked up this used '07 Beta rev3 270cc, and it seems to be in ok shape. The prev owner put approx 100 hours on it (maybe some more), and hasn't replaced anything on the bike. However, after reading a couple of nights here on the forum, I was thinking I could find some solutons to my "issues":

1. Clutch drags

2. Clutch is slipping in 6th (not other gears)

3. Experience with the extra tank and seat kit.

OK, the clutch drags, but it varies. I can warm it up and let it spin ang slip through some gears, and its better. But I never come to the point it won't creep forward in first. Sometimes it gets worse, so I have to watch the idle, or else it can die for me. Some more revving and slipping makes it a bit better again.

I'm currently using a Motul 10-40 oil I used alot in KT 2-strokes with great success. Unfortunately I had to dump the fresh Ipone oil the prev owner changed to, due to an oil leak I was aware of (bad clutch basket). I have read that some of you are using ATF oil, but not all agree it solves the problems. Then I read about any good quality 75w oil. I'm kind of split here, but probably I'll end up with trying both.

I've also come over some articles stating that this small creep is quite "normal" for those Beta's or even trial bikes. True?

I have also adjusted the clutch lever as far it goes, but it doesn't help much. Later I will pull the plates and look for grooves in the basket or warped plate etc.

I can also add its VERY hard to find netural (but that's kind of noraml I guess after reading here). It also requires som effort / force to shift gears UP. Going down is much easier. Do you think this is related to the clutch isn't fully disengaging or could it be more a question of oil type?

The second problem is that the 6th slips way too much. But the sttrange thing it doesn't show any sign of slipping in 5th. Why this dramatic difference from 5th to 6th ? And, is this also quite "normal" for this bike?

You see, the plan is also to mount the extra tank and this seat that comes in a kit. Not for regular use, but then I can just sign up in a enduro race now and then and really upset my old friends. Hopefully I will roost some of them in the results, and that will make the really angry. Anyway, anybody with experience from this kit?

Thanks for answering a newbie trials bike owner!

-olec

Edited by olec

I have had the same problems with my GG 125 pro. It allways creeps when the clutch is fully in (same with you, always in first, very often in second and thrird, but I don't know about fourth and fifth as I never stop in them) but I can't get it into neutral when running and you have to yank it from first to second. As opposed to box oil, give bvm (google it) a call and they'll tell you the manufacturers recomended type (with me it was 10-30 Repsol. If you order it before 3 (but not on a saturday or sunday) it should come next day. If you find any sollutions with the clutch and creeping problems, please let us know.

I had the same bike and had the same issues.

It sounds like it needs new fibre plates. Give the plates a clean to remove excess material before fitting. And rough the steel plates with some 100 grit

It's likely you'll need too remove the clutch basket (use and air impact wrench) and file any plate groves out of the basket. Use a new fine file (large) and take your time. Place the file across opposite basket fingers and be smooth. File the same number of strokes for each finger. Be square. Oh and take your time. Slip went away.

I always used ATF and changed it frequently.

Most trials bikes are a SOB to find neutral. It is supposed to save missing a gear in a section.

Yes some of them were a bit tougher to shift up through the gears no matter what oil was used.

Edited by NZRalphy

I had the same bike and had the same issues.

It sounds like it needs new fibre plates. Give the plates a clean to remove excess material before fitting. And rough the steel plates with some 100 grit

It's likely you'll need too remove the clutch basket (use and air impact wrench) and file any plate groves out of the basket. Use a new fine file (large) and take your time. Place the file across opposite basket fingers and be smooth. File the same number of strokes for each finger. Be square. Oh and take your time. Slip went away.

I always used ATF and changed it frequently.

Most trials bikes are a SOB to find neutral. It is supposed to save missing a gear in a section.

Yes some of them were a bit tougher to shift up through the gears no matter what oil was used.

Thanks! I will open up the stuff after Easter and check everything. Better get me some ATF oil too just to compare.

beta neutral almost impossible to find with bike running, snicks right in when stopped. first to second can be a bitch not all the time easy to fluff up changes when motoring at speed. bike likes its oil changed reguler very reguler about every fourth trial. bike will sometimes want to move forward in 1st with clutch lever pulled in but not all time just let the lever out and pull it back in should sort it.

if its only slipping in 6th leave it alone nothing wrong (officially) with that.