Painting Glass Fibre Sherpa Tanks

howieleem

Hi, i have what i think is a Sammy Miller glass fibre replacement Sherpa tank for a 199. Someone said they knew it was a SM tank because it has no recesses for the round Bultaco Stickers.

I have 3 questions -

Is it ok to paint a glass fibre tank?

If ok to paint what is the Red colour used on 199's?

Is it ok to spray laquer over the top of the decals?

Cheers

Howie, I've done it in the past and I was very pleased with the results. And I was all of 15 at the time.

AFAIR I just used automotive sprays but there are guys on here who are seriously clued up about the subject (Markyboy is a professional).

Long time no speak. Does this mean that the resto's on the go again?

Incidently another regular on these boards and recent near neighbour, PeterB, has a 199 sherpa with the same slimline tank as yours. Whether it's an SM I don't know.

There is no problem painting the fibreglass tanks with cellulose, 2-pack or whatever, although I'm not a painter so can't give you any advice on the best way to do it. However if you're going to use a lacquer coating don't use it over the water based slide on type decals as they aren't made to be used with lacquer. You need decals specifically made for lacquering over (usually vinyl type) Try Bultaco UK to see if they have them.