Gas Gas Chrome Frame

deckmaster01

hi people my 321 gasgas frme is showing its age a bit so i was thinking of getting it powder coated,is this possable as its chrome?thanks james

Yeah but... an nice looking dirt bike is an oxymoron. :dunce:

(Interesting question though)

I wouldn't .

I've got a 99, 03 chrome and 07 black, the 99 & 03 look to be in much better cond. than the 07, simply because the black frame shows any and every scratch.

There's no way to keep the frame looking decent :dunce: I'll never buy another new trials bike with a painted frame.

There is one way don't ever ride it :D

yes it is possible. the people who do the powder coating will shot blast the frame first, this will take off most of the chrome anyway and clean up ready for the powder coat. Quite a few gassers had really bad chrome on the frames and the rust came through quite quickly. I t will be a lot lot cheaper than a re-chrome. Ask the place that is doing it for some sample colours to look at, they might even have some things in they have just done.

thanks guys i,ll look into it and also have a go at polishing it with some good metal polish and a mop,will keep you updated with the result cheers james

I once restored a '78 Sherpa T. I had the frame sand blasted and powder coated. It looked great until I rode it a couple of times. It got bumped and scuffed from normal trials riding, and there was no way to "touch up" the powder coating! I should have just painted it with a rattle can. I later traded it for my GG 280.

Dave

hi people my 321 gasgas frme is showing its age a bit so i was thinking of getting it powder coated,is this possable as its chrome?thanks james

Have a look at these photos. I've just completed what you are considering for your own bike.

Would I do it again ?? NO. I'd spend the time riding the bike !!

http://picasaweb.google.com/sligo1001/GasG...IfLpcyuvbmK6wE#

i do some home powder coating with the eastwood system, you can coat over chrome with out sand blasting it, just make sure it's clean and oil free. there are translucent colors that let the chrome shine through, like black chrome, so you need a semi shiney chrome under it to get the effect. it is going to scratch and probably not look all that great after awhile.