1958 Enfield Crusader 250 Trials

jumbostu

hi all

Think my thread title says it all - just need a bit of positive input from those in the know. VERY original proper trials version of the royal enfield crusader. I had every intention of lovingly restoring it to acceptable competetive riding condition - not to show or molly coddle. However I have been tempted by another project which is more suitable for myself. This crusader is complete and bought as a runner, though I have not even put petrol in and tried it as yet. It has new dunlops and chain and was last ridden in anger 2 years ago. Was considering putting it on fleabay but would really appreciate some rough idea of what price to expect or buy it now price to advertise it at.

Apologies if this is posted in wrong section and thanks in advance for any replies I may receive.

the issue with the bike is that is not competative nor will be without a significant investment of time cash and knowledge ( gaunt elder rides/ rode a much developed bike)

as a collectors piece with some relevant history 2k plus might be achievable realistically if you make 2k as is you'll have done well.

Thanks guys - will try and post a pic when I get back to bike to take one. On theoriginality note have been told that one of the main ways to tell is the front forks are non leading axle on the proper trials version - its forks are of this type and the very reason the bike caught my eye in the 1st place was just how "trially" it looked. Appreciate your comments.

M.R: will send you a some pics when I dust it off - tho not overly sure whether to part with it as yet.

Best wishes

Stu

Hi Guy's ,

Hi Stu, Yes you need to post some pictures of the bike, so that we can tell whether it look puka or not.

The production Crusader did have leading axel forks but these were damped, unlike the roadster version which had no damping. The works riders of the time (50s-60s) did use forks that were a lot like the ones fitted to the BSA's then, Peter Fletcher used Norton forks on his works Crusader, so you see it is not as straight forward as it looks to spot a true production bike. It is right that to make the bike compeitive it will need a lot of work but most bits are still available if you look, and some like the gearbox use the same gears as in Villiers 7-8e boxes. and Yamaha and Honda clutches have been fitted. Hope this helps .

Regard's Charlie.