315 Exhaust Mid Box Cleaning

manofsteele

........whats the best way to do it please? I need to buy a new silencer so I reckon now's the time to clean everything else up. The front pipe is straightforward enough of course, but how are we cleaning the inside of the mid box?

Also, are there any alternatives to the orginal silencer, and are they worth it?

Cheers

Rob

How about trying to burn it out? Either in a hot oven or with a live flame (ie. oxy acetylene, etc?), you'd think the carbon and oil buildup would burn off before the aluminum starts to melt?

the only proper way is to cut it open and re-pack it with fresh material.

the best way is to lighlty grind the seams and cut the ends, clean, re-pack and re-weld.

you will notice a marked performance increase....much smoother power

I did mine a while ago, a friend welded it back together for me. He made me use a dremel and cut the weld in half all the way round, he said this made it a lot easier to tack back together. Check with who ever is going to weld it how they want you to cut it open, you can't tell mine was ever opened. My packing was a solid lump of carbon and thing was a mess inside so glad i went to the trouble. I replaced my header and muffler at the same time so its hard to say what difference it made, but definitely can't of hurt.

If you don't want to weld it you also can clinch a sheet of metal on the hole which you cut in for repacking it. I did so on my bultaco and used a piece of rubber from an old air tube to seal it. I can take a photo of it if you want to see it...

bye, Felix

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. Sorry for this late answer but I dont't look up new posts often. Unfortunately I can't find the cable for my camera at the moment. I will upload some pictures when I find it.

Maybe it'll help when I describe my solution. At my Bultaco silencer there are some flat areas, so I bored a 0,6inch hole in it and started at this hole to cut out a piece from 2inch length and 1,5inch width with a scissor for sheet metal. Then I repacked the silencer properly and cut out a new sheet metal from 3inch length and 2,5inch width. After that I adapted this new sheet metal at the shape of the silencer und cut out a piece of an old tire tube in the same shape like the new sheet metal. And then I fixed the new sheet metal and the rubber at the silencer with a screw clamp and bored approx. 10 holes for the clinches. I decided to use a clinch every 0,6inch so that there is a proper clamping force and therefore a good seal.

I rode it for about 20hours and it still doesn't leak...

bye, Felix

• 3 weeks later...

Hello.

Of course the wire for the camera was in the cupboard one feet away from me but unfortunately covered by some stuff... Here some pictures, maybe they'll help someone who don't want to weld or who don't have the opportunity to weld.

http://s6b.directupload.net/file/d/1828/kwryneyi_jpg.htm

Now I saw that I didn't use as much clinches as I thought but nevertheless it doesn't leak.

Here another view of the whole silencer so that you can imagine what I described as "flat areas":

http://s11b.directupload.net/file/d/1828/tvsrs27w_jpg.htm

The second silencer at the rear of the bike I repacked by cut it off, burn everything out, put new material in it and welded it together. I did this one year before I had the idea with the clinches but the clinch-solution had work there as well. Now my Bulto is as quiet as it was new.

bye, Felix

Edited by FSB