Alloy Kickstart For Tiger Cub

honda pants

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guy's

I have not done this exact modification but have done the same operation using a Yamaha kick starter(as they are called) Basically you cut the boss from the donor bike ,short, leaving the clamp in tact,and then cut the swivel boss form the new kick start and weld it on neatly, making sure it is a good strong weld, smarten up the finish paint or send for plating and then fit. simple.

Regard's Charlie.

I have converted 2 Suzuki kickstarts using STU's instructions through previous post which I searched once you've converted your kickstart spindle you can use what ever is available as the Suzuki ones are cheaper from a breaker as long as the splined hole is not to big as you have to drill it out to be able to weld the half moon shape in the right position. The 1st one I did missed the foot peg whilst kicking over which is the one I'm useing at the moment and the 2nd one as a spare.

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/index....l=cub+kickstart

• 4 weeks later...

Below is the method from STU on one way of fitting the GasGas kickstart to the Cub shaft

#################################

To fit Gas Gas kickstart:-

The flat on kickstart shaft that takes normal cotter pin needs to be groung back carefully with a hand grinder so the flat now comes right to the end of the shaft, now ream out the steel swivel of the Gas Gas kickstart so its a nice fit on shaft then from a piece of round bar cut a d shaped piece that fits the d shapes space that remains when you have fitted the kick start swivel on to the now reground kickstart shaft, make sure you have it positioned in the right place and then weld this new d shaped piece in place in the kickstart swivel.

Now a bit of pub, we make half hard ali kickstarts for cubs along with our new

wide ali forged footrest/ali mounting brakets that take ali brake lever and ali chain tensioner.....

PS, What is best is to use a dummy kickstart shaft in a vice, to be sure you've got it all set up/dimensionaly correct and it can then be checked at itervals so your not making a cock up.....Gas Gas kickstarts are not cheap and all this work while not complicated needs to be done well/acurately.......

#################################

Now, the only thing I can't work out here is how you retain the modified kicker on the shaft without it falling off. The GasGas knuckle/swivel doesn't have a pinch bolt as on the GasGas the end of the shaft is drilled and tapped and a retaining bolt stops the kicker sliding off. This can't be done on the modified Cub (C15 in my case) shaft so how is it held in place on the shaft?

Hi Guy's.

Ok Woody, I would drill and tap a hole in the Gas Gas swivel for a good sized grub screw with a locknut. Now I know it may be difficult to drill a countersink in the C15 shaft to take the grub screw,but I suggest using a very slow drill as for stainless and titanium and use a good quality cutting compound you will only need to make a V impression so just keep sharpening the drill bit. Let me know if it works.

Regard's Charlie.

• 2 weeks later...