Gasgas 280 Makes A Strange Noise

snerk

Primary gear should come off the same as the idler? If it's a bit tight you'd be best using a gear puller to save doing any more damage to your gasket faces!

What's the Norwegian word for 'finesse' ?

GJ :thumbup:

Primary gear should come off the same as the idler? If it's a bit tight you'd be best using a gear puller to save doing any more damage to your gasket faces!

What's the Norwegian word for 'finesse' ?

If you see the picture of the primary gear there is the part where the waterpump is attached. Im thinking about the splines on the end of the crank. I havent gotten around to check if im supposed to pry it over the splines, but as soon as im done at work ill get home and try.

I had a gear pull but it as too thick to get around, im going to get myself a new one. Finesse is the same in both languages and apparantly I lack it.

Edited by Snerk

Finesse is the same in both languages and apparantly I lack it.

It'll come with practice mate, we all have to start somewhere.

The 'bit' where the water pump keys into is the end of the crankshaft so be very careful not to damage it especially if you use a puller. If you're going to 'pry' gears (or anything else) use wood or some sort of protection under the pry-bar to prevent damaging anything else. Slight pressure on the pry-bar and a GENTLE tap of the gear should be all that's needed to loosen it?

Before jumping straight in and attacking with vigour, try looking at what you're working on for a while. Understanding how things work helps greatly in any mechanical project. I made a rather expensive mistake in my youth because I was too eager to remove a crankshaft for a simple bearing change! What should have cost a few pounds ended up costing hundreds! All part of the learning curve!

A bit of a contradiction but if you take your time you'll get the job done quicker (and probably cheaper)?

Do you think I can apply some pressure to the splines on the end, to be able to pull the gear over them?

In 1 hour ill be home and ready to try. Thanks for the patience, Ill be a bit more careful in the future :thumbup:

Protect the splines with something (brass is good as its soft but durable) and be GENTLE but persuasive. You really don't want to damage those splines so if it's being stubborn try a little bit of heat and see if that helps?

I have had a look at it now, and it doesnt seem like im able to get it off without using a lot of force so ive stopped in fear of damaging the gear and the end of the crank Are you sure this is the way to do it?

Sounds like the splines on the crank are worn or damaged? Very common on gearbox output shafts where the chain drive sprocket goes on.

Can you see a gap between the splines of the shaft and the splines on the gear? Sometimes not easy to see depending on the severity of the wear/damage.

Basically the splines on the outside of the groove for the circlip are no longer in line with the splines on the gear preventing it from coming off. Try tapping the gear in the direction of drive (clockwise) and see if there's any movement or signs of it realigning with the splines.

If there's a lot of wear/damage then a crankshaft replacement could be on your shopping list :blink: