Observers

jon v8

I ended up observing this afternoon after riding one lap of a trial,my 10 yr old son was observing for the first time - he got very fed up with it,desparate to get it right for everyone.Reason for it - riders entering the section without being asked.They didnt even look at him,as there was no queue they just piled in.Not very good really as they couldnt see the whole of the section from the start,and the start of the next section was right next to it.The next section was taking heavy scores and a queue built up back into his section to the extent you couldnt get out through the ends cards.

All I'm saying is - its not that easy so a bit of thought would go a long way.Esp as the trial couldnt start with out enough observers,there wasnt exactly loads of people wanting to do it.

Let's be honest it can be a thankless task at the best of times. Getting harder to get observers all the time, no incentive. Punch card system is asking for trouble unless they ride in groups and they can stay together. Same old same old unfortunately. What trial were you at??

Hi Bo,it was a Bath classic trial,lovely day for it.Made me think that if it was as annoying on a day like yesterday - how poor it would feel on a rainy day in January ? Maybe we ought to ask riders to observe one trial in ten or something similar - to make them realise whats involved,esp when riders pile into a section without even looking.I know getting enough observers has always been a problem,but with the often 70-100 entries there are for pre65 and twinshock events there must be a way round it.

Tell you what tho,its a good way of seeing all the bikes and different abilities - different ways of attacking a section etc.

• 1 month later...
I ended up observing this afternoon after riding one lap of a trial,my 10 yr old son was observing for the first time - he got very fed up with it,desparate to get it right for everyone.Reason for it - riders entering the section without being asked.
After you've fived the first few, word will get around quite quickly! Edited by cg125