Dougie Lampkin Trials School

brokeback

I cant find much info about the trials school in August.

I quite fancy having a go but need to know whats its about, as the ferry crossing from the island is now so ludicrously expensive these days

Has anybody got any links to a description page, other than the booking site or better still has anyone been to one before.

What was the itinerary like, much riding? theory? How did it work with the wide spread of skills?

All replies welcome :thumbup:

Basically, you get split into 2 groups (as far as I can remember).

we got riding time with James Dabill and Dougie and Martin. they set a few sections for us all to try, and were on hand to answer any questions and give advice.

Think of it more like a fun day out where you get to ride with others and meet a couple of the top lads.

they also did a demo at the end which was cool.

and there was an awesome bbq!

All the best

Tom

There's a link to the trial school on the main page of the Trials Central website.

Its pretty much as Tom describes, one group will spend the morning with Doug and Jake and then swap and spend the afternoon with Dibs and Martin Lampkin, lots of rivalry between instructors. As you would expect the sections getting more difficult as the rider gains more confidence but there is never anything stupid. It genuinely caters for all abilities.

Your not going to be hopping the bike around on the back wheel, unless you can already, but you will pick up some good advice and you will have a great fun day out.

I'm going.

I went along in 2004 just to see what went on. It's the only event I've ever attended where I actually took a notebook and made notes as the day progressed! The original article I wrote is here. Some of the tutors may have changed, but I doubt the format or the banter (and there's plenty of that!) has.

It's hard to believe that was five years ago now, but I do recall it was very relaxed, no pressure on anyone and I remember being amazed by the progress made by some of the participants over the course of the day.

This photo kinda sums it up :thumbup:

IMG_6170.JPG

Do you not fancy a return visit? You could even throw your leg over a trials bike!!!!!!

One of the funniest things ever at the Trial School was James Whitham.

Who at the end of the day announced, in front of everyone.

''I'd just like to thank that bloke for bringing his wife!''

and then proceeded to give the startled young lady and big hug.

Thanks Andy

I think you have made my mind up!

Looks and sounds awesome.

One more question, I was born and bread in Burnt Yates not far up the road from Silsden but moved to the island many years ago, so know the area quite well. I believe that the hotel in the village has closed a few years ago can anybody recommend a nice pub/ hotel to stay in nearby?

Thanks again :o:thumbup::blink: