Ty 175 Missing Gears

gazzaecowarrior

Hi there. Just reassembled my ty175 after fitting a new top end and clutch. Took it for a quick spin and allthough the engine sounds sweet as a nut, there appears to be a neutral gear between 2nd and 3rd gear and possibly another one after fourth. Before I rebuilt the top end and clutch I can't say what the gears were like as I bought the bike as a non runner so this is the first time I've taken it for a spin. Anybody got any idea what the problem cold be. I must confess I have limited experience of gearboxes. Is it just a case of adjusting or is it more serious ? Your help would be most welcome.

Gareth

It doesn't help with gear selection if there's slop in the gear change to the splines,the shaft where it goes into the housing and the connecting parts, worth having a look at this HERE ....They do tend to have the odd false neutral

Hi Andy

Thanks very much for that. What they describe in that section is exactly what I am experiencing. Symptom wise they are spot on. When I was rebuilding the engine I stripped that section down and repacked it with greese. To be honest it didn't look to badly worn so I am not 100 percent sure this is the cause of my problem. Could it be anything else ? What about on the other side of the engine where the selector rod engages the gears ?

Gareth

What did you use for oil when you re-assembled the bike?

I usually use ATF in my bikes but my TY250 didn't like it at all. Had all kinds of problem shifting. Went back to straight 30 weight and haven't had any problems since.

Just a thought.

Alan

Hi alan.

Thanks for the advice. Strangely enough I've put ATF in it. I use it in my Beta and it is amazing. I think it is more mechanical this problem rather than oil but you may be right. I am going to give the TY shop a ring tommorow and seek their advice. The bike is running so nicely since I rebuilt the top end. My TY 175 that I had as a kid never sounded as nice as this but at least it changed gear !!!! You can't have evrything I suppose.

Gareth

Hi Andy

Thanks very much for that. What they describe in that section is exactly what I am experiencing. Symptom wise they are spot on. When I was rebuilding the engine I stripped that section down and repacked it with greese. To be honest it didn't look to badly worn so I am not 100 percent sure this is the cause of my problem. Could it be anything else ? What about on the other side of the engine where the selector rod engages the gears ?

Gareth

looking at the other side of the engine you could check the condition of the selector drum pins and selector arm, there is some useful info in the Haynes manual showing how the selector arm should be set up and checked, If I was you I would just keep riding the bike for now and try and work out how to flick the gear change to get positive changes.

Spoke to the man at TY trials. He said it could be the linkage or maybe the gear selector arm and drum. He thinks if there is play in the linkage it could be that. Just had a look at it and there is a bit of movement before it feels like you can feel the spring. But how much is normal ? My Beta has now play whatsoever.