Muffler Re-packing

bultacobris

Gday

i have a Sammy Miller Banana (boomerang) muffler on my sherpa which is clogged up with oil.

I have soaked and flushed with air cleaner cleaning fluid and heaps of crap came out,

Does anybody know if these have any packing in them, before i have a go at opening it up?

thanks

I'd guess the Miller boomerang (never had one) is the same construction as the original Bultaco item inside, except it's made of alloy not steel.

The original has a perforated tube with packing, no baffles, and there is no point trying to clean these out. If the packing has clogged with exhaust goo or disintegrated the only way to repair it is to split it open, clean up the tube (the holes get blocked with carbon) and replace the packing

Thanks - i thought as much.

These mufflers are very slim (about 20mm) - with the intermediate mufflers, i cut a piece out of the back and make a larger piece to pop rivet back over the hole so they can be repacked anytime. i was thinking the same for the miller but could look ugly.

may be easier to buy std type or just ride without it. (if i'm allowed to)