Alright

andy198712

Hiya

been a member a while but not had a bike till today

got a '99 txt 270 and loving it its not bad for the age, plently of compression, needs a good jump to kick it over, only issue with it is the brakes

the back was squeeking all the time unless i tapped the lever, and they're both pretty poor in power, i was exspecting quite sharp? more like my ktm.

so i stripped the rear caliper, and removed one piston but couldnt get the other out, and it was only just moving, either way i popped it back on the bike and spent ages bleeding it after a loss in consentraition ment i sucked some air in. finally after cracking the MC banjo a couple times and bled it regular, as i couldnt push the fluid up, worked once but other times it wouldnt go, should i be depressing the lever?

any way, after all that, the feel is ok now, not hard as i'd like, i removed the slack in the lever till i just had a tad........ and its worse then before! i can still move the bike with the brake fully on just about, tried dragging the brake it re bed it as i roughed it up a tad and still the same sadly.

so tomorro i'll strip it down again and try and get that other piston out i guess.....the clean it up and hope for the best!

any tips on this? i know its not the best place to post this but i couldnt do it in the tech section.

Cheers

Andy

Try splitting the rear caliper so you have access to both pistons, should be either one or two bolts depending on caliper! Put the nozzle of a compressor against the crossover hole for fluid between the two halfs, cover the caliper with a box or something, either that or point it away from you, and away from windows, the neighbours car, your children or the neighbours pesky cat.. I know it may be tempting but c'mon, behave... these fly out with enough force to wound a man at 15 yards! Longest distance I've recorded is 40 yards to the end of the driveway and across the burn.

So yeah, cover it and give the hole a blast with the compressor... maybe leave some wd40 to soak into it to degrade the seals enough to possibly loosen up... Then just get a repair kit for

Try splitting the rear caliper so you have access to both pistons, should be either one or two bolts depending on caliper! Put the nozzle of a compressor against the crossover hole for fluid between the two halfs, cover the caliper with a box or something, either that or point it away from you, and away from windows, the neighbours car, your children or the neighbours pesky cat.. I know it may be tempting but c'mon, behave... these fly out with enough force to wound a man at 15 yards! Longest distance I've recorded is 40 yards to the end of the driveway and across the burn.

So yeah, cover it and give the hole a blast with the compressor... maybe leave some wd40 to soak into it to degrade the seals enough to possibly loosen up... Then just get a repair kit for