Good Beginers Bike?

hondamannz

hey everyone my little brother is now 8 years old and ever since i got into trials he has wanted to aswell. he had a go on my beta rev 3 250 and loved it but he said it had a bit too much power for him. he has bike experience as he has a crf80 at the moment with a cable clutch that feels like your pulling in about 1 tonne lol. any way i was just wondering what kind of trials bike would suit him best, one with a clutch would be good, any help would be apreciated. cheers bradley.

hey everyone my little brother is now 8 years old and ever since i got into trials he has wanted to aswell. he had a go on my beta rev 3 250 and loved it but he said it had a bit too much power for him. he has bike experience as he has a crf80 at the moment with a cable clutch that feels like your pulling in about 1 tonne lol. any way i was just wondering what kind of trials bike would suit him best, one with a clutch would be good, any help would be apreciated. cheers bradley.

A beta 80 or 125 at a guess, i see alot of younger people on 125's

Go small and go slow. An 8 y/o on a full size bike is like an adult riding a 400 lb bike. Its easy to go fast on a big heavy bike, but going slow over rough terrain is another matter - not to mention trying to save the bike. The comparison to his std dirt bike just doesnt apply IMO. Rider confidence is huge in this sport.

I'd get a used Oset 16, a beta 50 or at most a small wheel 80 (GG cadet is nice) if he's a really big 8 y/o. If you buy a used bike, you can turn it over when needed and not loose much money.

At that age and with the value of hindsight, I'd go for the Beta 80.

Full size wheels/tyres means plenty grip and tyre choice, but smaller frame cycle parts means easy control and lightweight. Suspension will suit the smaller riders, while the 125 is fine if you're 9st plus.

Bulletproof engine will take a huge thrashing and return for more of the same.

They have been on the market since 2003 so there should be a good few in the classifieds.

My lad is 13 now, still only 5 stone (suspension issues) and quite small but has moved onto a 125 Gas Gas. He had two Beta 80's during 2005 - 2007 and loved them both.

The small bikes are good if he is particulaly little and lacks confidence, but I believe at that age they learn very quickly and with the Beta 80 he will still be looking for it's limits 3 years from now.

Good luck.

Hi Hondaman

Iam sure Gorden Anderson from Nelson [ contact him through Pioneer mcc website] still has a small wheeled 80cc Sherco. Identical to a full size bike except for wheels and forks. You probably have a couple of years to find the parts to upgrade if you choose. Triplex motos in Auckland have a TXT Cadet 50 [ see trade me] that seems cheap, Small cc capacity bikes are few and far between. so just keep asking around . Lastly why not use the crf 80 untill you find something more suitable. This is new zealand just ask and i am pretty sure you will be ok. mx tyres ok. This definatly ok at club trials in north island, and people only complain when junior starts beating them. In kiwiland its bums on seats we need, or at least feet on footrests Have feet up fun

Pete