High Compression On A Beta

stephen1967

Hi there,this is my first post on here,I have a Beta Rev 3 250cc,2005 model.The bike has very high compression,i.e. the kick start is very hard to kick down.Recently I have noticed if I go down any steep hills the bike locks it`s back wheel and wants to stall.Are the two connected in any way and is there a way to fix this ?. I am not the world`s greatest mechanic but any help would be much appreciated.

Hi and welcome

The betas do have high compression (hence their need for high octane gas) and it is normal to be hard to kick over. you will get used to it.

If you want a more docile bike i'd suggest you lower the compression by putting 2 or 3 base gaskets under the barrel.

Killing an engine going down hill is easily done with a small touch of rear brake.... or perhaps your bike hasn't had some of the carburetor mods done as suggested in the 'Beta Forum'.

Ralphy

The hard kick down has more to do with the flywheel and internal mass than the compression. My 250 PE suzuki has a much higher compression than my 249 fantic but feels lots easier to kick over. It has a very small flywheel!

Edited by Lee Harris