Gutted.... 08 4t Seized Engine?

mikey_boy

So went out riding today, had a pretty big off but all appeared ok so I carried on riding. The bike suddenly spluttered and stalled, kick start was stuck right at the top of its stroke. Upon further inspectiom this evening it would appear I have somehow damaged the cooling system and caused it to leak as there is no coolant in it what so ever. I checked the level last week and it was fine - today is the first time I have ridden it since. I am pretty convined that the piston is seized at this point.....Going to take it apart properly this weekend to confirm this.

I havent being this depressed about anything in a while, I darent even phone lampkins to find out how much replacement parts are going to set me back i think it will make me want to cry :thumbup:

Any one had any similar experiences? I havent had a close enough look yet but I just cant beleive it drained the coolant without me noticing.

Mike

Dam that is real bad luck.

It is a huge risk we take with our trials bikes and their Neanderthal cooling systems.

Fingers crossed that you are wrong and is all springs happily to life. But it won't. Think positive about a new piston and rings or a 300cc upgrade.

If its any concelation last year had brand new Beta 08 250 2 stroke ,which used on first trial and had an off with the bike sliding down steep bank with throttle jammed opened at full chuff which caused it to seize ,

So spoke to Lampkins today and they were really helpfull. They have some 250cc bits lieing around from when they converted some bikes to 300cc and are willing to sell those. Just need to completely strip it now and have a look at what bits I do need to bin and what can be salvaged.

Spike was it just the piston and barrel you replaced along with the odvious gaskets etc? Lampkins have said I can take one of the spare pistons and barrels from them for

I had a 4T with a leaking head gasket. While it was apart - for the replacement gasket - i polished the head / piston / valves, I cleaned up the casting marks on the inlet ports, and I lightly cut the valve seats with grinding paste. It made a little difference to the power in midrange. The bike runs really well, but it took a while to do it really well.

Use locktite 515 flange sealant on all faces and both sides of all gaskets to ensure no oil or water leaks.

Have you got a workshop manual and torque wrench of the head nuts? .... the biggest challange was trying to work out how too remove the cam chain idler sprocket. SOB of a thing!

Ralphy