200 Forks

furse

I've just finnished rebuilding a 200 fantic, which I bought as a non runner in bit of a sorry state, I rode it yesterday for the first time, well made up with it. A few minor things need changing and sorting before I strip it again to have the frame painted. Has anyone got on ideas why the forks top out very easily, i've put 250ml of 10w oil in each leg, I understand it that the oil feeding through the dampning rod slows the forks rebounding ? I've never used oil heavier than 10w in any bike, but is that what it needs? or am I missing something out of the forks, anyone got a brake down diagram of forks?

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys, I have been able to get an exploded view of forks from a SWM manual (they used same forks) but doesn't show anything missing at first look.

I have tried replacing top out spring with a longer one ( a valve spring off a Hilman Imp), still the same problem but not as bad.

Try adding a little extra oil to each leg.

There was a problem with the SWM forks (not the Betor ones) where a washer on the damper rods got twisted and allowed the oil to pass. Remedy was a thicker washer with other dimensions the same. You have to make a tool with a tapered end to undo the bolt at the bottom of the fork legs.

• 2 months later...

Just to update, I have got a set of 241 forks after dismantling them i've found the dampner rod is longer than my original 200 rods. Does anyone now what the length of the dampner rod should be. I've put the longer dampner rod and fork stanchion into the 200 leg, so I do know have a longer fork.

Not tried it yet but will soon be able to bring the reborn 200 back out.