Beta Rev Fork Drain Bolt

gazzaecowarrior

Hi there. Just changed the oil in my 04 Beta Rev 250 forks. Upon assembling the forks I found that the allen bolt which is the drain bolt on the left hand fork seems to keep rotating. It has tightened up to a satisfactory torque feeling but it rotates when you try to really tighten it. The thread is abseloutely fine. Is this normal ? It is certainly tight enough to not come loose but the right hand drain bolt tightened up to a point it couldn't go further and I expected the same of the left. I appreciate the left and right are tottally different with one being a damper and the other a spring. I am sure the last time I did the forks I didn't experience this. Is it ok to leave it like this ?

You need something to hold the damper assembly inside the fork to stop it rotating as you do it up. You can buy/make a tool to do this - welding an appropriate size bolt onto a rod for example. But you could try a broom handle, it's worked before!

Thanks for the advice. I am on my own tommorow so wont be able to get anybody to help me. Would I be able to get the same effect from strapping the bike down with ratchet straps till the forks bottom and then try tightening it up ? Obviously this would be with spring in and fork cap screwed in.

As per some of the other post put together. Take the fork off the bike , remove spring, drain the oil in a clean container- i'm assuming you have clean oil inside now, insert broom handle,turn fork upside down, apply pressure againt the fork pulling down ward to the floor, tighten the 8mm allen with a battery impact or lightly with a air impact. Done several this way at the nationals in Tennesse last month. Take about 10-12 minutes to a fork seal on the left side form taking it off the bike to back on.

Did all that. Used the broom handle. Couldn't tighten it up any more. When I put forks back together and in the triple clamps with wheel on it still rotates. I think I am just being over fussy. When I say it rotates I am really pushing hard on the allen bolt for it to do so. I think it is satisfactory. Would anybody mind having a go at turning their left fork drain bolt and seeing if it roates under pressure ? Regards. Gareth