Fishing!

copemech

So true its scary!

If u have the time and patience for this one, it's absolutely funny. read and enjoy and pass it on to folks like us!!! lol!!!

By the way...aka BTW....this holds sooo true for me!!!

Electronically-Challenged Seniors

Things are spiraling out of control. I think I have become lost

in a world of electronic madness.

One of my sons informed me this week that my cell phone has

become obsolete and I must head down to the cell phone store

and get a phone that is contemporary with the time.

I pointed out that the fancy razor/slimline phone with camera

built in that he made me trade my perfectly good flip-top

Motorola cell phone for two years ago still works perfectly fine.

Well, except for the camera thing. Never could figure that out.

Even the few times I actually did take pictures I couldn't figure

what to do with them and gave up.

That is except when I would push the wrong button and take a

video of the ceiling or my feet.

Seems the issue is that I am unable to text with the tiny little

3 character buttons. "Hi, son," would come out looking like,

"Gh Qmo." My grandkids have even spoken to my wife about

Poppa

• 3 weeks later...

:huh: i see a bit of that in my mom and dad.

Yea, and few today even have an idea of just how screwed up things really are in the world of computers. Retaining some ability to revert back to manual operation and such has saved our business millions over the years. Otherwise we might as well all just go home for the day or more!

Same with physically fixing cars themselves actually, not just the business end. If the computers themselves are able to tell you anything, it is usually some jumbled mess, of which data one cannot rely upon strictly due to the shortcomings of the idiots that have little to no idea of what is happening in the real world anyway. This is what happens when you put too many Geeks and Engineers in one room! TOGETHER! Mostly, things just set off a warning light, but these things are just telling a problem, not why! The reason lists can be as long as your arm! And not always correct! just the basics!

Data overload, none relevent! Go figure! Which is usually where I come in to try and sort the fly **** from the pepper, and basics prevail in most cases!!!!

I actually have little idea what the hell these young folks are going to do once all the old farts die off that can still function without a computer telling them what the hell to do, once it runs out of options. I guess they are just screwed! None even care to get their hands dirty! Oh well? ;)

Maybe this is why I am still analog based, just need a phone to "talk", and if my GPS goes out, I am able to navigate using a compass in most cases. Not that I fail to use such convenience, with full color moving maps when available! But whenthings go, one must still function. Never rely on just one!

Edited by copemech

Hi all,

I've always been a bit of a techno-geek........I've designed systems for Oil & Gas, designed software, electronic circuits, and I've had all the electronic toys & gizmo's for the house, car etc. I've got the latest phone, PC (& O.S.), was on the Internet 1995........yadayadayada.

However, sometimes........and it seems to be happening more often as I get older, sometimes I "just don't wanna know"!!! Example, I recently bought a bluetooth receiver for my living room AV setup so that I could stream music/radio stations etc from my Iphone directly to my Hifi setup. It works but can be a pain........in the end I ripped it out because I just couldn't be bothered with the hassle of the setup and remembering how to configure it whenever it un-configures itself ("binding" to those who know).

I'm of the opinion that all this fickering about has had it's day long enough.............all these technologies should now be well matured. I couldn't care less anymore "how" it does something.......I just think it "should just do it".

Bill Gates never learned this lesson IMHO.

Ian.

[Yes, I surface every few months/years then sink back into the night]

This is what happens when you put too many Geeks and Engineers in one room! TOGETHER! Mostly, things just set off a warning light, but these things are just telling a problem, not why! The reason lists can be as long as your arm! And not always correct! just the basics!

IMO that's what happens when you get too many young and relatively inexperienced geeks/engineers in the same room together. With the moderating voice of a more experienced mentor things become more reasonable.

Ian, I concur. I've done the whole hi-tech thing. Nowadays I'm more interested in the process I'm measuring and controlling. I'm quite happy to spec something to do the job and, if possible, buy something off-the-shelf. And I want it to be simple and easy to use.

Edited by TooFastTim

IMO that's what happens when you get too many young and relatively inexperienced geeks/engineers in the same room together. With the moderating voice of a more experienced mentor things become more reasonable.

Ian, I concur. I've done the whole hi-tech thing. Nowadays I'm more interested in the process I'm measuring and controlling. I'm quite happy to spec something to do the job and, if possible, buy something off-the-shelf. And I want it to be simple and easy to use.

Tim, I think they fire all these guys about every 5-10 years so they do not have to pay them! I think the new ones come as a bulk deal Yet the left and right hand, well, not connected!

Ian, to be honest, I have given up on all that as well! I really do not even like the single programmable remote control! The individual ones that were designed to function with each unit tend to work much better!

My phone works well as a talking device, I could text you, but I doubt it! "F U", there you go mate!(kidder) the limit of my keys! The GPS works well on its own, so does my camera!

My definition is still working well in low! Even without a flat screen.

I installed a subwoofer in my tv/stereo system a few years back, it would rattle the walls! Think quit working 2-3 years ago, never missed it really as all the others do a good job without the rattle. I might get round to it sometime!

I would rather go ride, or clean the toilets, or pull the weeds, or FO on this site. Nothing much to fix except a few bikes maybe, mostly analog, go figure!

:lol: