Top End Wont Rev Out ?

spokes

Been having touble with my 200 TXT 02.

It starts fine 1st or 2nd kick with a bit of choke.

Choke off then let it warm up a bit then rides around at slow speeds fine !

However when I go for a bit of a climb the and open it up it has just not responded at the top end.

Twice now the bike has stopped short on a climb due to 'Choking off' and nearly killed me through having to jump off or roll backwards down the hill !

I dont know if the top end has been done at all since new and I will be checking the reeds whilst the carb is off.

I have a new Air filter and will be cleaning and blowing the carb out before reasembly.

I'm Using TTS at 70:1, Motul Gbox oil, Std Factory jettings and setup on the carb etc.

Plug has heavy deposits and is quite wet ?

Set the carb up as Gas Gas UK Specify.

Seems to have started after last Carb clean ?

Gonna Check the Float Level and give it another go ...........

Any tips on checking that the ignition is OK ?

Any Pointers would be a big help

Cheers

Gonna do the carb and checkout the igintion system form start to finish !

Have been Jet washing the bike a fair bit over the past few weeks due to mud etc. so maybe the cause ?

Also got water into the top of the Air box last Sunday whilst playing in puddles !

They all were upto the sump then sudenly I was upto my knees in water whilst still standing on the bike ! Air box fully submerged for a few seconds !!!!!!

Took about an Hour to kick it all thru ! Was about 2 miles from the Van as well !!!

But ......... The Problems with top end started before this horrific incident !

Dont you just love mud and water ! ;)

I was having this same problem on my Beta at my last trial... long 2nd/3rd gear climbs and the motor would start to cut out or just quit altogether. By the end of the day, the plug fouled as well. I dropped one size on the main jet and put in a new plug. So far that seems to have cured it. It now pulls strong from top to bottom in every gear.

Recently Cleaned out exhaust and repacked Rear box.

But will check to see if its all OK.

Turned down the fuel screw yesterday to just 1.5 turns out and it ran better all the way up to the top but it then stalled and would not start for about 15 kicks ! ?????????

Pretty sure its fuel setup !

May go upto Buxton at the weekend for a bit of Practice so could pop upto Harpur Hill and get an opinion from 'The Main Man' at Gas Gas :(

Cheers

Before you go too far just drain the carb - a very easy task and may well be the problem ( there's water in the bowl ). My bike did the same one day - fine until the front wheel was lifted ( either wheelie or climb ) and then completely flat. Caused some pain to crucial parts as it was fine to accelerate to a rock- but would go flat and drop the front wheel at just the wrong time :( .

Have stripped the carb and blown it all out with Comp. air.

New air filter also fitted.

Fitted new petals to the reed block as old ones were a bit rough at the ends. (this has made the bike feel really crisp and responsive !

Edited by Spokes

On hill climbs or when riding for a long time on one open throttle setting you are using the main jet in the carb. Give it a good blow through with an air line, sounds like you may need to spend some time setting up the carb too.

Bit worried that not enough fuel mix is getting in now !

Are you getting any "knock" when shutting the throttle from open?...or any "pinking"? If not your probably safe.

All carb tuning is going to vary from bike to bike, place to place and rider to rider. Just worry about finding what works for you in your conditions. The advise you got on needle positions is a good example of how varying setups can be.

The choke O ring sounds like a possibility !

The problems only started after the first time I stripped and cleaned the carb !

Off for a ride in a bit, so will check out the seal first and have a mess with the choke (i.e. push it firmly back down after starting ).

Cheers

• 2 months later...

Still Getting this problem !!

Got the carb in bits and have given it good once over AGAIN !

Fitted new Rings last night as well as a 0.8mm Gasket and still no change !

Here are all of the numbers that I found when stripping the carb.

D36

60 ( Choke )

I know that the 60 is the choke but can some of you put a name to the rest of the numbers ?

Are there any more jets that I am missing ?