Fan Problem..........slow

zippy

Quick background: Bike overheated on Sat. I noticed fan not spinning, tap it with finger and it spins. OK refill with fluid, keep tapping fan when I restart bike and finish the day. Sun. morning top off radiator and off I go making sure I tap fan to keep it spinning. 10 sections later and radiator is boiling over with fan running. Radiator fins are also clear, washed it sat. evening and saw water pass through radiator. I ended up quitting the event so as to not kill my bike. :o

Monday evening. I figured fan running and fins clear means one of two things. I had air bubble and water pump was spinning in the air and not moving coolant. Or water pump is knackered. Remove pump cover, impeller blades look awesome, kick bike over and pump spins. impeller feels tight on shaft, only movement is slight play between gear teeth. OK better check fan anyways. Do some quick search on TC. Fan is 12v.

Plug in 12V 500ma adapter into wall, hook directly to fan leads. Fan no spin, tap with finger and it spins. Touch blade with finger and fan stops will not restart on its own. Tap with finger and it goes again.........repeat yada yada.

OK my thinking is not enough amperage. Next step is hook 250 Ninja battery direct to fan leads. Exactly the same thing happens. Fan no go, tap with finger it spins, touch with finger it stops.

LONG story for this Question: Am I right to assume my fan is ****ED!! ? :):D;)

Edited by ZIPPY

How close is the nearest lake? :)

Cheapest option is visit a bike wreaker & try to pick up fan motor for honda vt250f or similar, same model motor but have earth wire which you remove when swapping connector. You may also need to slot mounts but its all an easy job at about 1/5th the cost of a new 1 from sherco ;)